I met John at Pegasus, a gay bar here in Pittsburgh in 1998. He came up to me and asked me if I wanted to dance and I said no. He asked me if I wanted a drink and I said no. He didn't let up... and I was hooked by his confidence and persistence, along with his smile and piercing, beautiful eyes. We left the bar and went to a local restaurant that is known for being packed after the bars closed and when we got there, it was. We walked in and he said 'wait right here'... with that, he went over and shooed some people out of a table, waved me over, sat me down, took my food order, paid for it, got it, and brought it over to me. I had never seen such take-charge attitude, especially from someone that was 5'8", and I was really hooked. But that's the way John did everything... BIG... including his love for his family, his heart and his compassion for people.
When I met him, he was just starting to serve a DUI loss of license for esentially falling asleep at a red light at an intersection and the police just rolled up on him while he snoozed. John played hard, but slept hard as well, as you can see by the pics below. I loved taking pictures of him while he slept... he didn't have to be the strong, powerful businessman. He always did the same things when he slept... either stuck his hand down his pants, held his arms in a chicken-like stance... or had a leg up somehow... and always with his buddy, my dog Shelby, whom he loved to death. When we'd have movie night, I would get his popcorn and Dots candy ready for him, and it never failed that he'd fall asleep minutes later. About a month into our dating, I received a job offer in Philadelphia that was too good to pass up. I'll never forget calling him from a pay phone to tell him... and him supporting my decision, but not wanting to let go. I moved, and we dated for 5 months long distance, before I quit my job to be back in Pittsburgh with him. We had a great relationship. We traveled a lot, did a lot with his family and lived the life of two gay guys in the suburbs. I decided to go to massage school and then opened up my day spa, which he fully supported me in my decision. He even helped by spilling a whole 5 gallon bucket of mustard paint in the middle of the waiting room floor carpet which, thankfully came up with hours of using the shop vac. With me working 6 days a week, 9 or 10 hours a day and him traveling for his job, we started to question what we were doing and why. Instead of taking a little break to regroup, we got aggrivated and just gave up. It wasn't an easy break up, but we got through it and remained friends since, touching base every week or so... or he would leave a comment here or there on my blog... and we'd have lunch once a month.
John was larger than life. Most times with a drink in one hand, a cigar in-mouth and a poker hand in the other, he loved living life to the fullest, especially in the casino. I used to call him 'tornado' because he was always like a bull in a china store, somewhat clumsy and scattered. One time he almost burned our house down using the toaster oven... another time he was rushing around (because he was always late) trying to get to the airport to catch a flight... and he set the luggage down by the trunk and forgot to put it in and ran over his luggage, then dragged it down the street until I noticed and called him on his cell phone to stop the car. This was life with John. It was always an adventure. We worked together well because he was the big picture guy, and I was the detailer. He'd come home and say 'let's go to the Bahamas... I've booked the flight' and I'd be the one who would make it all happen by taking care of everything else. He was the first and only person I ever dated that I fully trusted to do what he said he would. He was a man of his word. He also was a family man, taking care of his Aunts, sister, nieces and nephews, brother and parents. He was rational, logical, sensible and fair and brilliant in business. No matter where he went, he knew someone... and if he didn't, he would get to know him. I always admired his being able to sit down next to a total stranger, strike up a conversation and win them over. His personality was magnetic... you couldn't help fall in love with him.
We were together for about 3 1/2 years. There were many times where I thought that we'd get back together, since our break up was not only a mistake, but was senseless and will go down as the most regrettable thing in my life. I'm glad that we remained close friends... I saw him a month ago or so at the casino here in Pittsburgh... pushing me to lay it all on the line and make the big bet. He always supported me and my crazy in everything that I did... but gave me the freedom to be me, not trying to change me, but gave me advice and pushed me to enjoy life. I always felt safe with him out there, knowing that he would always check in with/up on me, making sure I was alright. He had that air about him... somewhat like a Godfather... busy, but always making time for concern and compassion for others. It's that quality about him that I remember most, evidenced by the greatest romantic gesture I've ever experienced:
While working for SAP, living in Philly while he lived in Pittsburgh (at a particularly busy time for him)... I had to take a trip to Paris for business... when I had arrived back at the Philadelphia airport, I was walking down the escalator, tired from my trip, heading to get my luggage and at the bottom of the escalator, there he stood with a dozen roses... he had flown to Philadelphia just to greet me back from my trip. He was a sight for sore eyes, and I loved him for that.
I'm going to miss you, Freak. Sleep well, my friend... my love.
I'm very sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute! You write so well. I enjoy reading your posts!
ReplyDeleteSorry for your loss, D@vid!
ReplyDelete(the second time of this year I heard about the deadly heart attack)
I'm so sorry for your loss and that of John's family and friends.
ReplyDeleteWhat a terrible or maybe not so terrible coincidence that you were going through his pictures.
My thoughts are with you.
ReplyDeleteTake care!
Jon
What a beautiful tribute. You have honored his memory and your relationship. I am sorry for your loss and the loss of those who's lives he touched and filled.
ReplyDeleteI echo my fellow commenters is saying beautiful tribute.
ReplyDeleteIt seems that the two of you were mutual blessings in each others lives.
I would like to express my deepest sympathy for the loss of John. I hope that your wonderful memories of him will bring you comfort and peace at this difficult time. N.
ReplyDeleteI am very sorry for your loss David. I know how difficult this must be for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful words.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your loss, David.
My condolences - so sorry.
ReplyDeleteI am deeply sadden by your loss. You sai dmany wonderful thing about him. You should remember him that away.
ReplyDeleteAgain I know how hard it is to loose someone you love.
Ray
so sorry david...
ReplyDeletemake sure you get your friends and family to rally around you
I am sorry for your loss. You said "He always supported me and my crazy in everything that I did... but gave me the freedom to be me, not trying to change me, but gave me advice and pushed me to enjoy life."
ReplyDeleteWhat greater gift than to love you as you are.
Peace and healing.
I'm deepest sympathies for your loss D@vid.
ReplyDeleteJust want you to know I have been reading your blog for approx. 2 wks.or so. Enjoy your writing style and your sincereness! So sorry about John-lots of good memories which I know you,family and friends will always remember. Best to you!
ReplyDeleteDavid - so sorry for your loss. He sounds like an incredible person.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful tribute!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. I've experienced the loss of 2 past relationships of mine at a very young age, and can understand exactly how you are feeling. Just know that I'm here for you anytime if you need a shoulder to lean on. Both you and John are in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteSome people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same.
ReplyDeleteOh what terrible news. I'm very sorry for your loss but was inspired by your loving tribute to him.
ReplyDeleteDavid, so so sorry to hear of your loss. I really enjoyed reading about John and your relationship with him. You are a stronger individual for knowing him and I am sure the days/weeks and months ahead will be tough. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteI too want to join the line of commending your prose and empathizing with your loss. It was a well done tribute, indeed.
ReplyDeleteSad news, indeed. Please accept another stranger's condolences.
ReplyDeleteHeartfelt sympathies for your loss and a big hug from a stranger over the water.
ReplyDeleteThat was a great post you did. It's nice when you can remain close to your exes and have nice thoughts at times like these.
ReplyDeleteI'm still at a loss of a good friend of mine who passed away the same way, similar age and it's almost been two years ago. Some of these losses are profound, so I hope you accept my condolences.
Mes sincères condoléances, je suis vraiment désolé pour ce qui vient de se passer. J'espère que tu t'en remettras, en tout cas, tu peux compter sur moi.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. I think he would be pleased with the beautiful post you wrote.
ReplyDeleteMy condolences to you and everybody else that lost John. It made me smile reading your your post about him, and it felt like I got to know him some.
ReplyDelete*Hugs*
Please accept my heartfelt sympathy D@vid at your profound loss. Your posting of John's loss was one of the most beautifully written tributes I've read in a long time. My heart goes out to you D@vid. John may be gone but you will always have the beautiful memories of the when you met and the time you spent together. You are in my thoughts D@vid.
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice tribute to your friend and loved one. This is the prefect way to keep some of those memories alive.
ReplyDeleteHugs to you D@vid.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post and tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteBig Hugs,
Stan
I'm sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you. Take care of yourself.
ReplyDeleteHaving lost a former lover and good friend unexpectedly and way too early, I have a sense of the range of emotions you must be experiencing...my thoughts are with you.
ReplyDeleteEric
My condolences!
ReplyDeleteA very moving tribute!