Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Heinous Hiatus

"Don't you ever work?" was a comment that I got yesterday, and seemingly so.  This year hasn't been off to a flying start due to the weather... and I've already talked a bit about my frustration level so far.  Last year I lucked out and had better weather... and my first stretch of work was 13 twelve-hour days in a row... that's how little rain we had.  Since I don't have 'weekends' in the sense that everyone else does... if it's not raining, I'm working no matter what day it is.  The 75 yards of mulch that I have to order, haul in wheelbarrows around the property and spread equals about 70 hours of work, and that's with a helper.  Then there's the 600 annuals I have to plant after that.  Beyond that, I have 6 or 7 projects like walls and decks to build and other clean up projects, etc. that will put me well into working every nice day until the middle of June.  Rest assured, I have plenty to do... just no good weather to do it in.


Tomorrow is supposed to be a good day... so I will start with the first mulching.  In the meantime, I continue to do a few bids (for another large client), consider taking a bartending job to help a friend out, sort out my taxes, clean and take care of other things that I won't have time to do when I get underway. 

5 comments:

  1. Ever consider hiring yourself out as a "personal mover"? Cuz, I'd TOTALLY pay you to come here and do this for me/us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can empathize with your dilemma concerning the weather. I don't mind a rainy, cool cloudy day every now and then but days in a row like this just sucks. Especially those who work outside to earn a living like you do. Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it rains, it pours, literally and figuratively!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! The joys of spring gardening!
    The rain, the mud, the messy flower beds, the sticky wet dead leaves, the water that manages to get into our waterproof boots, the soil that sticks underneath our nails and that we cannot get off even after scrubbing for two hours...

    Which makes me think that my backward is a total mess...

    ...Say! D'you by any chance take jobs in Montréal... It's sunny over here!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please send the rain down to Texas.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete