Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Boom

I've been stuck in a non-productive shame spiral over the last week or so.  Not to sound like a broken record, but in my business, erratic weather this time of year not only wreaks havoc on productivity, but on my stress, guilt levels and eventually, my depression cycle as well.  It's been something that I've mentioned a few times already this season, so I didn't want to sound repetitive and whiney, and kept it in.  But that's not good for me... and considering that my blog is my release, holding it in does exactly what I try to avoid.

Over the last few days, I have gotten up and it's been off and on snowing and raining and cold.  So I turn the weather on and I get a confirmation of more of the same.  Maybe I'll get dressed and load the truck up, only to have it rain on my way and have to turn around.  Just coming off of a few months of down time, I am eager to get working for not only my body, but my mind as well.  The stress of a heavy front-loaded schedule in April and May add to my frustration... followed by the guilt of not getting anything done and, in the back of my mind, the self-inflicted pressure of my clients wondering where I am.  The stress builds as the pressure to get the cleanup, mulching and planting done by a certain amount of time builds... coupled with being paid by contract to do the job and the guilt of not being there but being paid to be.  Lastly in the cycle is sitting here helpless with my hands tied at the mercy of the weather... and having more down time that I don't know what to do with myself except think about all of this, and the cycle repeats the next day.

It's wonderful that I have a job that I love... but sometimes I just want a job where I can go to work and bang my head up against the wall, but at least feel like I have somewhere to go every day.  It's maddening, truly.  Fortunately, I have working out, but over the last couple of days, I haven't even felt like doing that.  I sit here paralyzed.  There's nowhere that I want to be... in other words, I don't want to be anywhere.  I get depressed and my whole psyche falls apart just that quickly.  Thoughts creep in that I thought were handled and that adds to my feeling of going backwards, let alone not making any forward progress.  Plain and simple, I need to work or I self-destruct.  I have been uninspired to do anything.  Not a good place to be.

I posted a poem yesterday but quickly took it down.  I feel like I want to explode sometimes and not venting on here makes me a boiling pot of emotions, trying to get out in any way possible.  I don't know whether to madly laugh or cry any more.  After doing so well, this is the demon that I fight again... myself.  Incredible but true... a sunny day can make a world of difference.

7 comments:

  1. Funny how we are so much harder on ourselves than anyone else could be. I bring to your attention a word made most popular by the WWII Generation, little known and out of fashion, for most of today's society. Enjoy.
    **
    Conscientiousness = awareness; the trait of being painstaking and careful, or the quality of acting according to the dictates of one's conscience. It includes such elements as self-discipline, carefulness, thoroughness, organization, deliberation (the tendency to think carefully before acting), and need for achievement. It is an aspect of what has traditionally been called character. Conscientious individuals are generally hard working and reliable. When taken to an extreme, they may also be workaholics, perfectionists, and compulsive in their behavior. - Wikipedia
    **
    Tomorrow will be a sunny day...and the next, and the next...and the next... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When this world makes you crazy and you've taken all you can bear...just call me up, because you know I'll be there..."

    I know sometime you just need to be alone and process through this and let it work itself out and through, but know I'm OK with crazy thoughts and feelings...without them, I wouldn't exist.

    Breathe, my friend and if things get TOO crazy and you need to get away...well, I'm JUST an 8 hour drive away *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I know that I am hard on myself, but its too late to change that behavior. I just need to curl up in a ball and work through it. A good nights sleep or a sunny day usually brings me back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your moods change quickly...like the weather hm? You are loved by so many ppl as I can see..should give u comfort and safety

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing as how I'm fairly new to your blog and I'm in the "getting to know you" phase, I don't think I can make a comment that would not come across as trite or either insensitive or oversensitive. So instead I'll just say that your post had an effect on me today, as I've been thinking about it for the last several hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I didn't want to sound repetitive... so I kept it in." Please don't!!! If you can't express your innermost feelings on your, where can you? So many of your followers have experienced the same feelings and are well able to lend a sympathetic ear or make a useful suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like what Buddy Bear said. Much of what you write strikes a familiar chord with me. I find the blog a good way to release some of the stress and frustration. I find being creative helps me to find some meaning, not quite sure what, but it helps. Getting myself back to the gym too (mostly running) which I know helps with the oxygen flowing and also to break the downward spiral. Been there so many times. Always sunny here in St Pete!

    ReplyDelete