Let the Gaybirds Fly Free
Monday is National Coming Out Day. With the recent gay teen suicides that have made the cover of magazines and headlines of the news, there's a lot more awareness to the growing problem, which is a good thing. Teaching and perpetuating stereotypes to the point that someone has to take or lose their lives should not be. I've had my share of bullying in the past but, knock on wood, never had any real problems with anyone with my being gay. Obviously, I'm not walking down the street in a taffetta evening gown with spaghetti straps and rouching with matching peep-toe heels and handbag, but I also don't hide who I am either. I am thankful for the people in my life that let me be me and want to be a part of it. I am very fortunate.Everyone says there's a 'gay agenda'... I can assure you that we're not out to overturn the bond of marriage... or recruit young people into the 'lifestyle', as people put it. What we are pushing towards is just what everyone else has...the right to live our lives just as we are without having our lives put at risk. And while we've made strides in obtaining equality and our basic civil rights, there's still much to be done:
No comments:
Post a Comment