Thursday, July 7, 2011

This Ain't No Donkey Ride

I left early this morning for the Grand Canyon, about 75 miles from where I'm staying in Flagstaff. I was hoping that I could stop at the Grand Canyon Airport (where the tours fly from) and sign up for a last-minute helicopter ride. I walked in and she booked me on the next flight, 30 minutes later... which was great since I had no time to talk myself out of it. When I lived in Vegas, I did a trip where we took a bus to the airport in Henderson, got on a prop-job and flew to the west rim airport, got on a helicopter and flew to the canyon floor, got on a pontoon boat and went down the river a bit, flew out, had lunch at the Indian reservation then did the reverse to get back. Awesome trip. This one, was at the airport at the south rim and was 55 minutes of just flying in and over the canyon.  $250 and 30 minutes later, I'm getting in the helicopter hoping I don't make a sissy in my sandblasted underwears (from the dust storm in Phoenix).

Somehow, since they weigh you to balance the helicopter, I was fortunate enough to get to fly shotgun next to the pilot in front. Good and bad.... good because the pilot was so cute and adorable and we were able to chat it up while flying... and good because I got a bird's-eye view... and bad because I got a bird's eye view... complete with glass bottom floor. And my barf bag is where?... just so I know. I had butterflies, but I wasn't sure if it was because of the anticipation of the flight... or swooning over the pilot. There's something about a hot guy with your life in their hands that is sooooo appealing. Bonus if they don't kill you in the process. I'd call that a good 'date'.  I thought about faking anxiety and grabbing his leg, but figured we'd take a nose dive at the cost of my gayness.  I miss him already... true story.

We took off from the pad and headed across the forest fairly close to the ground, so I was doing ok.  For those who have never been to the Grand Canyon, it pretty much just sits there... with no railings practically anywhere.  If it were nighttime, you'd have a good chance of walking right over an edge to your certain death.  In the distance, you can see the rim coming up fast.  You can't imagine the feeling of being in a glass bottom helicopter and have the earth drop 4,000 feet out from under you. I almost lost my free buffet breakfast of eggs, Canadian bacon and diced potatoes, but I held it back because I didn't want to appear like a pussy in front of my new boyfriend.

What I've always found amazing about the G.C. is that, unlike other canyons like Sedona where you enter on the canyon floor... the G.C. has you approach on the highest level... where the dirt used to be before it eroded away.  The first time you pull up, about 25 feet from the edge, and park your car... it's surreal walking right up to the edge... again, with no railings and people climbing out on rocks for a picture.  Created over millions of years of wind, sun and rain erosion, you can see every layer marking the time period in warm Autumn colors like burnt umber, sienna and Cherokee red... all colors that go well with the hues of my Mediterranical skin.  Everywhere you turn, the next vista is more brilliant than the next.  Unlike the humidity at home that smacks you in the face, the heat of the desert wraps it's arms around you, comforting you in a mysterious way.  Difficult to convey in pictures, you just can't capture the height and depth in pictures with no points of reference... it's just that big.  The canyon is the perfect example of what I always say about the desert... it's not what's there now that's truly amazing... it's what used to be there.  Once under water... once home to the prehistoric... moody and mysterious with a spiritual presence... the desert is a truly special place unlike no other.  The other thing you notice is that this wonder is of the world... not just for us in the states.  Evidenced in the various languages you hear spoken around you, you know that someone is handing out pamphlets at Ellis Island (the entry point in the U.S. for immigrants) for this place... and people are flocking in from everywhere.  You definitely get a united sense of appreciation for the convergence of ecology, biology and nature, to name a few.

After the helicopter ride, I went into the park and walked along the rim.  There were people climbing out on rocks trying to get that awesome picture (see picture to the left to view the idiots), risking life and limb... people reading books and just gazing out upon it... dogs and tame squirrels... there was much going on, including the approaching storms.  I decided to head out after that and had a nice peaceful ride back to Flagstaff in the rain, going from 90 degrees at the canyon down to 58 back in Flagstaff.  Tonight, I plan on walking around in the downtown historical district, full of hotels with large lobbies that you could just feel were the receptions places for people riding up on horses.  The district is very healthy... one of the most vibrant I've seen, loaded with great little stores and restaurants and people all around.  Truly the most successful one I've seen, and right  smack-dab on old Rt. 66.  I leave for Vegas tomorrow morning.

As mentioned in previous posts, double click on the picture and then again to see the huge version... and I'll be posting more with a better internet connection... I took 186 today and did 4 videos in the helicopter.   Here's the video I shot of the approach to the canyon rim and going over the side... if you listen closely, you can hear me saying "Ohhhhh.... shit!".

12 comments:

  1. I am quite literally peeing my pants right now......seriously, David...you should've been a comedian.

    And the video is.........PRICELESS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More magnificent photos! What an amazing day! I enjoy your writing very much. You capture the beauty and the excitement is contagious! In addition to the photos, you paint a beautiful picture with your narrative. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it looks like you're having a blast on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, the Pilot was very cute...but I would have had to stay on ground... I hate flying and helicopters scare the crap out of me (never been in one)... looks like you are having a great trip... keep enjoying and keep showing us pics... (more of you)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pictures are great - and I've seen no picture that actually captures the beauty and wonder of the Grand Canyon. It's amazing!!!

    That pilot is totally gay. ...I'm just sayin'....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute pilot. I confess, that pic of his joystick made my bootie *quiver* just a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been a stealth follower for a long time. But today's post and your man crush on the pilot is great.

    I live not far from several national parks and right on the countries only international scenic loop ( http://www.selkirkloop.org ) It's interesting that the majority of the visitors I overhear speak a foreign language--especially in Glacier and Yellowstone.

    Even more disturbing?

    Among the US visitors, many drive huge SUV with CA/TX plates, with multiple DVD's going non stop to keep the kids from looking outside or lulled into compliance.

    It drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David,
    You are so funny! Have you thought of taking up as a stand up comedian. You have the talent. Hey, reading your posting of your helicopter ride is better than anything I see on TV. Funny stuff! Again, thanks for taking us along for the ride, cute helicopter pilot and all. Hey, it's always good to have a cutie in charge. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In May Bill and I visited his hometown of Toccoa, Georgia. Nearby is Curahee Mountain. I got dizzy while standing on the edge of that mountain. Compared to the Grand Canyon, I was standing on a speed bump. Wow. I cannot imagine standing on the edge and looking down. It makes me dizzy joust looking at the pictures. Some trip. Thanks again for sharing your adventure with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got way bigger balls than I do!

    ReplyDelete