Sunday, July 24, 2011

Getting Back to the Future

I've never been an overly patient person, at least when it comes to waiting.  When I was in my early twenties, I was hard-pressed to climb the corporate ladder and it couldn't happen fast enough.  I was always looking to some future time where I'd have what I wanted, over-flowing with goals and ambition.  In my late twenties and early thirties, I was in relationships and was enjoying my life in the present with my partner.  In my late thirties, all hell broke loose and I was forced to take a long look at all aspects of my life and make some major changes.  With the spiraling depression and hard times in my early forties, I began to delve into my past and work through some issues, and so the therapeutic outlet, this blog, was born.

On January 27th, 2009, I wrote my first blog post ( Land Rage ), declaring the purpose of this blog as a way to vent my frustrations.  Over the years, it went from that, to entertaining people, to working through some hard issues to chronicling my daily life.  Incarnated as "Trouble in my Bubble" (realizing my problems in my life) to "Ruminations of my own Vacuity" (taking a look at the emptiness inside) to "Another Mile Marker" (making strides of progress).  I've touched upon my religious beliefs, being gay, being adopted, family issues including dealing with my elderly father, addict brother and nephew, the death of my mother, sexual preferences and issues, moral beliefs, political views, depression and suicide, financial ruin, running my businesses, body issues, relationships and a slew of other topics everywhere in between... and my process to learn and grow from them.

Writing became a way to express myself, get things out in the open to face them and think aloud so that I could work through the issues, learn from them and move the fuck on.  Although very cathartic, it posed some problems as well.  There were a couple of haters and a stalker... my life was under constant scrutiny from strangers, there was pressure to post and pressure to entertain and my original objective of saying what I wanted without recourse weaned as I had to think about who my reader was going to be and how they'd react.  At times, I felt like I needed another anothermilemarker that no one knew about to get back to the root of my purpose.  Having every detail of who you are posted on the Internet posed it's own problems when it came to dating, since once spilling my guts about who I am in the blog made it difficult to have to explain it all again to a new person... and I'd wind up saying 'it's in the blog'.  I've always been the kind of person that, if I was mad at you, I'd sit down and take three hours to write the perfect letter, then I usually wouldn't send it because I felt better... so, lastly, this purging and cleansing process has made me feel a little empty as a person.  It's kind of like having book for sale and someone tore the guts out of it and nailed it to the bulletin board.  Who I am is now this blog.  That became apparent to me yesterday when I reached out to my half-sister for the first time in two years and when she asked me what I've been up to... I couldn't think of anything.  My first instinct was to say 'it's in the blog'.

After working through the issues, I'm now able to apply what I've learned in my new relationship with John.  For the first time in many many years, I am looking ahead to the future.  To be able to do that, I need to let go of the past and, to some degree, the present.  Analyzing my every move and thought at this point seems to be holding me back.  It's become drudgery trying to come up with things to talk about.  I've become complacent in my ambitions... and apathetic in my causes living only for today, with a foot in the past.  It's time to move forward... and so, I have decided to stop blogging for an undetermined time period.

I've made so many friends over the last couple of years... the support has been astounding, sometimes more than that in my circle of friends.  I have learned so much from so many people and received countless words of wisdom that helped shape who I am.  I enjoy writing... and some say that I am good at it... so perhaps I will try another writing avenue... but, for now, I'm going to hang up my writing hat and live my life for the future.

Feeling overcommunicated sometimes, I'm going to limit my online communications to Facebook, and those that wish to stay in touch with me may do so by adding me ( Friend Me On Facebook ), or through my email address, pittguy2008@comcast.net.  Although I have gotten out of touch with a lot of the blogs that I was reading, I'll continue to do so.  I believe there is a way to download the contents of my blog, so I'm looking into that, as I don't want to lose my 2.5 year online journal... and I will be leaving my blog up... and will make periodic entries so that it doesn't get deleted. I'm most proud of my earlier writing, especially that of my family... it can be pretty funny/sarcastic... and the earlier times were more entertaining.  For those who have met me in the more recent surge of followers over the last 6 or 7 months, I invite you to go back through and browse some of those earlier posts.

A special thanks to my friend, Matt, for encouraging me to blog to begin with.... John at Going Gently for being my oldest and most consistent reader... and my friend, Robin at Life In Queue... for being the biggest supporter of my writing, biggest fan... and the only person that I know that went back, started from the beginning, and read every post... and John, who is learning to love me exactly as I am... crazy and all.

Thank you so much for your input... your support... your interest... your kind words and your love... and for sharing this bumpy ride of a journey.

D@vid

29 comments:

  1. You will be missed by me D@avid. I understand what you are saying. In some ways, your reasons for blogging parallel my reasons. Having said that, I wish the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you are going to stop blogging for now. I did that earlier this summer, and I'm slowly getting back to it.
    This is YOUR blog use it how you want.
    I hope you start blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a member of the 'recent surge' who've found you (or you found me to be precise), I'm going to miss the blog very much. You've made an impression on me in these short months. I will most definitely keep in touch with you David. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. What you said, "...if I was mad at you, I'd sit down and take three hours to write the perfect letter, then I usually wouldn't send it because I felt better..." This is exactly what Abraham Lincoln used to do, so you're in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you well. I'll miss reading about what you've been up to and your life in general.

    BosGuy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I respect your honesty and your growth, and I wish you the best.

    I'll log on every now and then hoping for that periodic progress report you've promised.

    Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never posted on your blog, but now that you are leaving....I have to say I really enjoyed your story. I am really happy for your new relationship and I wish you ALL the BEST. Thanks again and hope to see you in the future when you make periodic entries and hopefully let us know how things are going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Luck and Great Happiness to you, David. Everyone deserves happiness and contentment in their lives. They only have to reach out and take it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you well, but I admit I am sad, this is sad news indeed for me and your many blogger buddies who enjoy hearing from you. I hope it is merely a hiatus, but that is selfish of me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck to you David! I'm fairly new to your blog and have enjoyed your posts, for their information and for your writing style. I plan on going back and reading your earlier posts. It's amazing how therapeutic blogging can be. I think it's good to step back every now and then to see where we are, and figure out where we want to go from here. I wish you the best. I'd like to friend you on facebook. I'm just afraid you will get too overwhelmed with friends on there! Happy journey to your future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a difficult read this has been. There are a thousand-and-one things that I want to say, but I am left speechless.

    Meeting you and inviting me into your world via your blog, has literally saved my life, a I am not talking in the metaphorical sense.

    You have given more of yourself in this blog, than anyone I have ever met in my life. You have made me laugh, made me cry, and made me a little crazy myself, at times.

    My hat is off to you, for being true to yourself, and moving forward as you see fit. You set the bar high, and live by example. Your friendship is one of the greatest treasures of my life. My love and respect for you, is immeasurable.

    Thank you for believing in me and giving me the courage to blog; for sharing your friends with me, and changing my life for the better.

    You are my "Imperfect Light," and I will always be better for having known you. Thank you, my forever friend.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will miss your posts David, but I understand. Sometimes we just have to end something so we can start something new. I hope we will keep in touch nevertheless. Although we never met in person, you became something like a good old friend for me I met daily. I wish you all the best for your future David.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gee...that is awesome! I find that you write much for the same reasons that I do...and I have gone through similar stages.
    I know precisely how you feel about being emptied out...I feel the loss of a painting for example, whenever I sell one...it leaves an empty spot in your inner self.
    I started my blog in July of 2009 and I thought at first that I would run out of things to say...here it is more than two years later and I am still ranting.

    saludos,
    raulito

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your life to the fullest David.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much fo rsharing this with us. I feel honor by this.

    Hugs
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  16. D@vid

    I've only been reading your blog for a couple of mths, and I must say I do feel kinda sorry that you are taking a break from blogging now. I have enjoyed reading through your blog and indeed many of your trials and tribulations as well as personal insights resonate with me. Small regret that I have not been commenting, and thus not having the chance to be a friend. :)

    I do understand what you are trying to do here. You are living a real-time present life and there's a future awaiting for you, your family, John and your friends too.

    So, yes, move forward, live your life. I'm sure friends whom you have made in real-life and online, who care for you genuinely will continue to be with you in one way or another.

    QinG

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck and thanks for not just disappearing.

    You'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All the best D@vid, sadly am not on facebook so I will look forward to your posts periodically :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. John in So. Cent. PAJuly 25, 2011 at 11:01 AM

    What a beautiful post by Life In Queue! Couldn't have said it any better! I really have enjoyed your blog that last 2 mos. or so. Will miss it but understand wholeheartedly. Wish you the best and will be checking back periodically. Definitely will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. D@vid, I've been following (but not commenting) your blog for over a year now. I'm so happy for you. And sad for me and a lot of others. You will be missed. So glad you'll be checking in, tho. May your future be a loving and productive path.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can honestly say that if I knew there were so many people that read but didn't comment, I wouldn't have decided to stop blogging. One of the reasons was that I thought I bored everybody away (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  22. D@vid, you will be missed! I often think that it must not helpful to a relationship to be blogging about it as it develops, so I think that NOT blogging as your new relationship develops is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Encore, Encore!! Please, Please, Please...I have no shame...I'll beg. Seriously, please won't you take some time to re-think your decision. I think you will find that you need us, as much as we need you. Bored or Fascinated (which I am always the latter) Family is Family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Best wishes on your continued journey. And, you suck for stopping your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything come and go!

    Follow your heart... from what I get, you just need a break. That is all good.

    I wish you fair winds, calm sees and smooth sailing!

    ...but you'll be back! ;)
    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just when you thought it was safe.....here comes a comment from a distant peanut gallery. But, I have to give my opinion...(no surprise there). You wrote your last blog yesterday and LOOK at the response you've gotten in less than 24 hours. Ammmmmaaazing. You have touched peoples' lives...you've made a difference - you've done something most people hope to do, but never actually are able to do. I respect why you are ending your blog and am sooo happy for you. While I don't know all of the details or reasons for it's beginning, I know enough about you to understand what a huge part of your life it's been and the need now to move on. My suggestion.....do something else with your writing. Don't think about it .... do it. Hell, maybe even a book about your blog, an advice column, anything. You are a gifted writer and a wonderful person. I miss you and love you, my friend. Good Luck. Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  27. D@vid,

    I can only speak for myself but you are one of the few blogs that does not bore me. You write well and always have something interesting to say. Sure, you have an edge, that's what makes you and your blog so interesting to read. You come across as a totally honest guy. None of us is perfect but you are interesting. I have never been bored by any of your postings. I hope you continue to blog, if only occasionally. You are loved D@vid. I suspect I am not the only one who feels that way about you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. And here I've been thinking about deleting my Facebook account. Dang.

    I'm pretty sure you would never bore anyone away.

    But I hope you do pop in a post from time to time... kinda like the post that appeared after this ;-)

    ReplyDelete