Monday, July 11, 2011

Friends, Old and New

I didn't do a post yesterday because I really didn't do much.  I putzed around all day browsing through stores and walking on the Strip a little bit... doing the touristy thing.  It's been a fairly physical trip and I just wasn't in the mood for expending energy in an earthy-crunchy kind of way.

Last night, I went back to the country-western bar and saw my friend Michael again, with whom I ran into there the night before, since he now manages the bar (whereas he was just working a few days a week when I first knew him).  When I lived here, we became really good friends.... he's such a sweet guy.  In fact, he's the one that took me on my first helicopter ride at the Grand Canyon.  It was great reconnecting with him... and Paul and I hung out all night again as well... both quality people. 

While standing there, a guy next to me (John) asked me where I was from... and when I told him Pittsburgh, he about fell off his seat... because he and his friend, George, are from Pittsburgh... he actually lives ten minutes from me, if that.  We talked the whole night... and I took them to the 'Welcome to Las Vegas' sign and the Fremont Experience in old downtown Las Vegas.  Here, they've revitalized the original Vegas... where all the Rat Pack hung out in the older casinos.  As they've demolished hotels over the years, they've salvaged the neon signs from the casinos and have them on display.  It's probably my favorite thing in Vegas... since I love anything retro.  We had a really great time... and I'm looking forward to getting to know him more back home.  So odd that we had to travel thousands of miles to meet, when we live so close to each other.  Makes you think about how small the world is... and how your path crosses with others, possibly for a reason.  It was a perfect way to wrap up Vegas.

I'm packing up and getting on the road in a few minutes.  I have a 4.5 hour drive through no-man's land back to Phoenix, where I'm staying overnight, then flying back home tomorrow morning. 

John

Paul

My favorite saved neon sign in downtown, Las Vegas

2 comments:

  1. is there anywhere in the US you have not visited yet david?

    ReplyDelete
  2. pleasant journey home!
    and there is no more dust here in phoenix !

    ReplyDelete