This morning, we (from left to right: George, me, John, Scott, Matt and Kyle) all met and ventured out to Ohiopyle State Park. Located on the Youghegeny River about an hour and a half southwest of Pittsburgh near the Maryland border (Near Fallingwater), it offers various white-water rafting excursions in a small town Pennsylvania atmosphere. Six of us went and we opted for the middle Yough, which is mainly just calm flowing water, probably no deeper than 5 feet in any given spot, but more like 1-2 feet deep throughout. It provides some level one rapids and tons of boulders in the river path that you try to avoid... 'avoid' being the key word.
We split up into two rafts, one with 4 of us in it, and another with just 2... both offering their own challenges of maneuverability. It was a clear, warm, sunny day... not too humid... but just hot enough that the freezing cold water splashing up on you... or when you steer the raft right into a big rock and several passengers go flying out into the river, banging into rocks and floating hundreds of feet before you get yourself stopped... the water feels refreshing at that point. And that's just what happened... many times. First, Scott and Matt's 2 seater rammed into us as we were hung up on a rock and then they toppled over and got banged up pretty badly... I fell overboard once... and then 100 feet from the end of the trip, the big raft got stuck in an area that they shouldn't have been going in and threw two more people out. Difficult to stand up in the rushing water alone... getting the raft unstuck and getting back in is more of the challenge. All-in-all, it was a great day... taking us about 4 hours to float 9 miles down stream.


It sounds like a lot of fun. I once went (in my youth) whitewater rafting down the Rogue River in Oregon...that was hair-raising and dangerous...but I was adventurous then...you won't even get me on an ocean liner these days...lol
ReplyDeleteI am glad you are having such a good time.
saludos,
raulito
Mighty Awesome...do I hear banjo's in the background? Glad to hear you are all safe and sound. When it comes to banging your head, stick to music. Glad you all had a great time. It is wonderful to see you enjoying life to the fullest ;)
ReplyDeleteYou've got the best punch lines in bloggerland! :)
ReplyDeleteLooks like a fun excursion! I remember going tubing on the Esopus River in NY, fun, but that chilly water!
ReplyDeleteWow! Seems like you have a great time there! I saw rafting, water, rocks, beer and food - that abt summed up the whole experience.
ReplyDeleteGood to see you and John bonding with the guys. :)
you are a brave lad; it sounds strenuous too.
ReplyDeleteI vote for the food at the local restaurant!
Hope you had fun.
ReplyDeleteI would love to be in your boat and the guy right behind you. With both of you inthe boat I know I would make it really fun.
WOOF
Ray
White water rafting, something that I never got around to doing. I never got into water sports myself.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds all kinds of fun! When you next come to Vegas for another visit we'll have to go down the Colorado. Or we can just get some tubes and float down the river in Bullhead City. We can get some sun, drink a few beers and no chance of hitting your head on any rocks. :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great weekend. We celebrated Dore Alley and I am still recovering!
ReplyDeleteCome closer with the forearmed tattooed man, that I might know him better. LOL
ReplyDelete