So, fresh off my recent melt-down, I'm trying to spring-board out of it with some renewed energy for things that I let go or ignored over the last couple of months. With working so hard there for those 3.5 months of landscaping and the vacation, it seems as though I've been running non-stop for months... and now, I'm a little lackadaisical, to say the least. I blame some of it on the heat... but that's all it really is... unsubstantiated, deflected blame. I got lazy... plain and simple. They say (who exactly is 'they' anyway and, boy, they chime in about everything, don't they?), 'if you want something done, give it to a busy person'... and if you want something to be put in a pile until after I get done watching my progrums, and then we'll see about it... well, that would be me lately.
Throughout history, people have been using forms of public humiliation, some cruel and unusual, as a way of reform. This usually involved different methods to induce shame through 'mob justice', such as being locked in shackles or a pillory, the chair of shame... the 'dunce' hat... several badges of shame and various other types, usually in the center of town for all to see and mock. For this application, we'll just use my blog.
From January through March, I was doing so well with my eating right and working out. As a necessity (to be able to have energy to work), I had to increase my calorie intake, and it usually wasn't the best for me. Time also played a part, since when I was working, I could only grab things on the run. On the days where it rained, my old friends, guilt and stress, made sure that I ate shitty as well... (see the Sponge-Cake-a-Day Diet).
So here I am, coming from it at a different angle this time.. ass-backwards. Instead of fat to lean like last time, it's lean to fat to lean again... and it's not so easy getting started. I've done some push ups and things here and there, but I haven't been back into my routine in months. Originally starting at 194lbs and 21% body fat, I had that down to 165lbs and 16%... and now, while I only weigh 171lbs, I'm sure that my fat % has increased and my muscle mass has decreased. My tone is gone, other than my bitchy, sarcastic one.
I'm an all-or-nothing type person... so I need to get crazy about it again. I need to get John on-board since I'm the poster child for 'fat and happy'... it's definitely harder in a relationship, unless the other person is beating you about the head and neck to get to the gym. Unconditional love and acceptance is great for the heart, but bad for the belly.

and we thought you had nothing left to say...When YOUR'RE BACK, YOU'RE BACK! Five Four, Three Two...if you worked out with Tony
ReplyDelete1x, you would work out twice a day, just to watch him. Now that my friend, is YUM (no, I don't mean you!) Get to the gym!
*SIGH* I wish I looked as 'bad' as you do! You do bad good.
ReplyDelete"Unconditional love and acceptance is great for the heart, but bad for the belly." LOL!
ReplyDeleteWell, I can eat anything and I don't gain one pound...... ;)
I love the last line. It is soooo true! Tell John you need to be pushed to stay healthy and to have the energy for him both physically and mentally. That way it's not about your looks, but about being there for him in the short term and long term. BTW: Based on your recent pics (OK you were wearing large T-shirts) I would not have thought you out of shape;-)
ReplyDeleteNow stop reading blog comments, drop and give me 5 sets of 50 push-ups.
I'm glad that you are writing still. As I said on facebook, you are a gifted writer!
ReplyDelete=)
"My tone is gone, other than my bitchy, sarcastic one." LOL - I spit my coffee all over my screen. Now you owe me a new computer.
ReplyDeleteThis is an off-topic comment - errmm, nice header for your blog and a very refreshing blue! That pic of a younger you with a big smile on your face is definitely a reflection of how you are feeling abt life now. I'm glad for you! :)
ReplyDeleteYea, perhaps get back to the diet (u can restart phase 1 again)? And hit the gym!
The belly comes with age. Not much you can do about it other than kill yourself every day trying to get rid of it. WhenI was 17 I weighed 160 had a flat stomach. Twenty years later, same weight,same stomach. Fifty years later, same weight, I have the makings of a "pouch". Can't be helped. I walk, exercise, cut back on the fats (haven't had butter in months) but "it"is still there. I'm afraid I have a friend for life. Thank goodness I don't have to show it to anybody. Another advantage of old age, no one sees your body. You don't have to impress. I had "it" when I needed "it". I don't need it now. And I'm not gong to kill myself to get rid of it. This is called acceptance of the reality of getting older. Check with me when you're 70.
ReplyDeletetrue; a relationship/marriage does make one slack at keeping trim. Don't slack off now, merely because you are in love!
ReplyDelete