Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Whirlwind of Excitement

After the last 6 days of non-stop movement and exploring, I had visions of making the 3-4 hour trip back to Phoenix from Vegas and crashing by the pool... something I haven't done at all this trip.  That hope was quickly dashed when my wanderlust got the best of me miles outside of Vegas.

Out in the middle of nowhere is Lake Havasu... a desert oasis that has an odd claim-to-fame:  It's home to the London Bridge.  After the bridge could no longer structurally support the increased traffic, it was numbered and dismantled and bought by Robert McCulloch, founder of Lake Havasu and Chairman of the McCulloch Oil Corporation, as a way to bring attention to his fledgling retirement community.  It was put back together as a facade overtop a bridge structure, the area underneath it was dredged and flooded and now it connects the city area with Pittsburgh Point, a peninsula that jutted out from the shoreline.  Unlike London, however, it was 110 degrees out in the middle of the desert.

I continued along the journey that I took to head back to Pittsburgh when Vegas went bust.  I was reminded of, as I passed, the area where, driving the U-Haul packed with my stuff towing my car, I got a phone call for a job finally.  I remember pulling over and thinking about whether or not to turn around, unpack and stay in Vegas.  I will never know if I made the right decision or not.  Being back out there made me wish I had, but when I think of my life now, I feel like I made the right one after all.

I didn't turn the radio on the whole trip back.  It was so nice to reflect on the trip and clear my head.  The 7 days went by so quickly, but at the same time, the first day seems like a month ago.  I've experienced so much over the last week, it's crazy.  As I was thinking about all of that, I looked off into the distance and saw a whirlwind... a weather phenomenon where a vortex of wind forms due to instabilities and created by heat and flow (i.e.:  a tornado)... was forming off in the distance coming right for the highway.  It's a pretty common occurance in the flat desert, but this one seemed to be bigger than the others I passed along the way... it's almost as if Mother Nature wasn't done with me.  Between the dust storm, the oppressive heat and the monsoons... she had a score to settle and the bitch was still coming after me.

After over 6 hours in the car, I finally got into Phoenix and went to my hotel, dropped off everything and decided 'what the hell'... I was going to go get a glimpse of Taliesin West, the famous Frank Lloyd Wright winter home, office and school.  I figured I'd have to climb up some mountainside to catch a glimpse, but they were actually still open, and I lucked into getting a spot in the two-hour tour starting in 30 minutes.  Living so close to Fallingwater, his most famous piece, I've been a fan of his architecture ever since I can remember, and my mission style phase of furniture and decoration was attributed solely to his influence.  The perfect balance between form and function in conjunction with it's environment, every detail is thought out in his work.  I've seen a few other architectural pieces as well over the years, but this was his center-piece.  Situated on 650 acres in Scottsdale, he originally bought this property after having pneumonia, at the recommendation of his doctor.  Although he has passed away, his philosophies are still being taught there as it functions as an accredited architectural school, as well as a private residence.  I can't even begin to tell you what a gift this was to wrap up my trip seeing this.

Over 1200 miles traveled... seven days... three states.... several national parks and forests... Phoenix (Taliesin), Flagstaff, Sedona, Grand Canyon (plus the helicopter ride), the Hoover Dam, Vegas and Lake Havasu and everywhere in between.... seeing old friends (Paul and Michael) and making new ones (Michael (Spo), Pierre, John and George)... seeking closure on my past... and overcoming some weather issues (you can fool Mother Nature afterall)...this trip has been phenomenal.  I am definitely in my element wandering about... exploring, pondering and feeding my free spirit in the warm embrace of the desert.  I'll never be the same.

I fly back home tomorrow morning.
















8 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! Thank you so much D@vid for sharing your trip with us! You gave me a flashback! Way back in the early 70s, some of my co-workers in New York took advantage of the free round trip offers to visit Lake Havasu City. A couple of them bought property out there for future retirement. That definitely was a lifetime ago! I hope you have a safe and relaxing journey back home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am left speechless. Words can't express how happy I am that this trip was everything you could have wanted, and more. I am so glad, as well as many other's, that you chose to come back home when you did. My life wouldn't be the same without you, Amigo. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's life, all things must come to an end. Have a pleasant and safe trip home. I really loved reading about your trip. You are an excellent writer. Take care.
    Hugs.
    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic pics!! I need to explore that part of the country more often. Thanks David! Pokie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for a wonderful series, David. It was terrific. I would love to do someday what you just did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a GREAT TRIP REPORT. Through your efforts to chronicle your vacation with words and pics, we can vicariously take the trip with you. Great pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your travelogue.
    The Southwest is one of my favorite parts of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had a good trip David. Your memories will last a lifetime. Now you're ready for one of those Pittsburgh winters.

    ReplyDelete