When I lived here in Vegas, I never went near the Strip... especially to drive down Las Vegas Blvd. It's mainly filled with Hummer-driving-wifebeater-wearing-Jersey Shore-watching-VIP-wanna-be tourists who are hoping that they win big enough to quit their job and sit on their ass for the rest of their lives. Doesn't happen, and yet they still flock in here. You learn to avoid it all really quickly. I've been here four times before I moved here... I always liked the energy, the lights and the fact that it's open 24 hours a day. Mainly though, it's sensory overload and visual vomit... something flashing or ringing or spinning and one thing outdoes the next.... you don't know what to look at first. I met Paul when I lived here and we became friends and remained friends after I moved home. He's a great guy and we caught up fast, just like I had never left. He keeps up with me through the blog and me with him through Facebook. He's one of the good things that came out of the experience for me.
This trip was partly about closure for me. My experience out here was debilitating, both mentally and finacially. You can read about it here ( My Time In Vegas (probably my most raw writing ever)), but the short of it is that after being severely depressed, then suicidal, I was lucky to pull out of it at all. I haven't been back since, and it's been a long road to recovery, processing the issues and moving on and forward. Despite not being able to get a job, I loved it here. It represented a fresh start and hope for me which were both quickly dashed... but being back here makes me feel like I wished that it worked out. I feel at home here... and I fit in well to the environment. Perhaps someday. I went past my old apartment complex and walking around sparked some of the thoughts that I had when here of how proud of myself I was for taking the huge plunge... how aggressive I was about making it work... and how I felt as though I had 'made' it... when, in actuality, I never really did. The area is so fresh and new and clean... you just felt successful, even when that was far from the case. The apartment was so modern and new... and that 'shine' turned to 'smudge' as I laid in my bed for days at a time without seeing the light of day.
Tonight, I'll head out to my old stomping grounds, Charlie's... the country-western bar where I met a lot of nice people who welcomed me into the community and gave me valuable advice that I eventually took, although not intentionally.... "pack up and go home". Vegas is definitely home to the troubled and twisted soul... and few make it here.
(Double-click and click again for larger pictures)
I would pay to watch you strip. Hope youare having a GREAT and wonderful time.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Ray
Great post, David.......I'm glad you're finding some of the closure you were looking for. I just want to add how selfishly glad I am that things DIDN'T work out for you in Vegas. Had you not come back, I may not have had a second chance at our friendship. I know we never really quit being friends, but I am so glad you're an active part of my life now. Lunch next week, right?? :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos and interesting words. Loved it.
ReplyDeleteI've often wondered, if Las Vegas was so great, why do most of the hotels try to look like they are from somewhere else? Ok so thats slightly tongue in cheek, but I'm so glad you put up more than just strip photos.
Thanks and good wishes.
I totally get what you mean. I've been back to places I lived before and it's like looking into your past. Some good memories and some sad. I guess that's what they mean by "moving on."
ReplyDeletePerhaps ... ;)
ReplyDeleteLost Vegas fascinates me; I enjoy going merely to watch the people and their escapades. What a world, is the strip.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your 'return home' memories - it is bittersweet to go back and think about how you were and how you are now.
You impress me on a number of levels.
ReplyDeleteYou seem to be open, honest, and introspective.
I hope this trip can help you accomplish some of what you need for growth and healing.
Someone once told me: "Explore it, grieve it, release it.
I've never been to Vegas. My sense is that it's rather shallow and superficial... a place to escape?
I imagine you are better off in the Pittsburgh area.
Godspeed.
I don't comment often but just have to say I love your blog and your smile is a winner man :-)
ReplyDeleteMore amazing photos. Thank you for sharing them and your thoughts and travels. I went back and read your "My time In Vegas" post. Amazing and uplifting story. I love that video too.
ReplyDelete