Friday, July 29, 2011

Mixed Bag of Tricks

After posting the other day about getting back to the gym, I basically sat down on the bed and proceeded to watch some taped progrums on my DVR all day long, paralyzed... not being able to find the energy or desire to get up.  It's hard getting motivated to make the steps toward the door to get there for the first time.  Fortunately, that only lasted a day and I got into the gym for a light, but 1.5 hour workout yesterday.  I was surprised to find out that my body fat percentage went down even more... from 16 % to 14.5 %.  What's shocking is that I haven't been doing any weightlifting or spinning since some time in April (there was dust on my membership card).  I guess working at landscaping did it... but, further, I really can't believe it since I haven't really been watching that closely what I've been eating.  Regardless, it is what it is... I'm hurting today but it felt good to get over the hurdle.

Today, I'm going with John to meet his sister for the first time.  She seems really nice... and we're hoping that by meeting her, it will squelch his Mom's concern about her not understanding "what someone my age would see in her son".  How about how he's compassionate... or artistic... or funny... or creative... or caring... or moralistic... or... the list goes on.  Taking into consideration that he's the baby of the family... he's been out for some time now but she only recently was 'informed'... and she seems overly protective... I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but it's been a little disheartening to hear this nonetheless.  Not only does it imply that I'm some sort of pervert for loving a younger guy... but it kind of puts things in a defensive situation right off the bat.  Parents usually love me because I'm stable, sensible, hard-working and well-rounded... so hopefully once I meet her, she'll have a change of heart.  Anyway, no sense belaboring it... I'm sure it'll be fine.

I was supposed to be heading to Philly for that class today... and then spending the rest of the week in Philly and then Rehoboth to hang out with friends, but I decided not to go.  I'm working on a deck job that I hope to start early next week... and I just don't think it's a good time, especially coming off a period of work followed by a week of being gone.  I feel like I haven't stopped moving in forever.  I'm trying to get caught up on things I've been putting off for months.

Tonight, we're heading to the Blue Moon to hang out with some friends.  The concert the other night was our first public outing... and this will be our first 'going out' together in the 'scene'.  While I hate going out while I'm in a relationship, it's really the only place where you can validate your relationship with public recognition and physical contact to 'mark your territory'.  Saturday morning, a bunch of us are going rafting at Ohiopyle State Park... and Sunday, we're off to Kennywood, the local amusement park, with his work group for their summer picnic.  I'm really happy at how our lives are meshing... and how great we're getting along.  I never could have imagined this a month ago.

15 comments:

  1. Well now I am caught up! I am excited that you are meeting John's Sister; that should go very well, and as you say, everthing with his Mother will work itself out. All you have to do is be yourself, and she will grow to love and appreciate you for who you are. No worries. The age difference will become a moot point. Now, one question...do we need to wear any type of protective gear while you and John are "marking your territory?" :\

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so great about you and John!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"m caught up too David. I feel confident that once John's sister meets you all here fears will be allayed.

    Kenwood is still around huh? I've never been there but I've heard so much about it. I think I saw a movie ago about this famous amusement park. I always wanted to go to an amusement park with a honey. Never happened. Maybe it's not too late for this old geezer. Cubby asked me if I was going to the Delaware State far (no). You'll have to get someone to take a picture of you and John on the roller coaster.

    I'm glad that your life has taken such a positive and hopeful turn. My best to you and John. I hope this is the beginning of a long and happy relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure that once she gets a look at you, and sees the two of you together, all will be well.
    Have a great weekend...sounds very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. John in So. Cent. PAJuly 29, 2011 at 2:40 PM

    Just be yourself and everything will be fine! Pervert?! Hardly! LOL!! Have a great weekend!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. The key to get motivated and up and moving ...... " A PUPPIE!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well now I know what my problem is.. I'm paralyzed, that's why I can't get my ass off the couch and to the gym... Glad to hear a things are working out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Puppy will solve the motivation issue .... guaranteed at least 4 times outside with a brisk walk. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It will all be fine with his mother... even if not at first, she will grow to love you... my mom grew to love my hubster... just find something you two both like (plants, TV show, cooking or something)... sounds like you are in a good place...keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dave, sounds like an awesome weekend is in store for you both! Don't forget to stop by the Bayern Kurve on Sunday to see me! So happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't worry about any age difference. When Greg took me to meet his parents for the first time, he was 38 and I was 26. Age has never, not even a single time, come up in conversation with any of our family members. I'm sure you'll experience similar respect and love from his family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could have never imagined this a month ago?
    It is marvelous how Fate (or the Fates) do things to us.
    I am thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete