Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Meeting Spo Spurs Dust Storm

I got all settled in to my hotel and then went to meet Michael and Someone for dinner.  It was the first time that I've ever met a fellow blogger/reader since I started blogging... so it was interesting to get someone else's perspective on the ins and outs of blogging and it's effects on your life.  Sporting his signature bow tie... both he and his partner were absolutely charming.  We had a great meal... with wonderful conversation and the night was a total success.... until....

I got in the car (that I almost didn't take the additional bumper-to-bumber insurance coverage out on, thinking what could possibly happen?)  after we left the restaurant and started driving.  My phone was beeping with messages and mail, since I had it off during dinner.  I pulled into a parking lot and looked up and saw the sky was growing dark.  It was a very forboding darkness... something that I've never seen.  As I sat there, it became clear that something was coming towards me.... a huge wall of dust.  I pulled up my weather.com application and saw that there were storms coming... and they must have pushed this dust storm out front.  After taking a few snapshots with my phone and got in my car and started driving the 5 or so blocks to my hotel... right into it's path.  It got dark so quickly... I could barely see with all the dust flying by, along with trees and other debris.  I got to the hotel and had to get out and instantly got a mouthful.  I made it into my room, and it began to rain, spattering the dust all over the cars.  The internet was down in the room, so after waiting it out, I left the room to go to the McDonald's to post this.  I had to take the car to the carwash to be able to see out of the side windows.  There's dust all over EVERYTHING.  I've never experienced anything quite like it.




14 comments:

  1. Love the pic of you and Spo! I am so glad you got to experience the "dust storm," mostly because you say it's nothing that you have ever seen before. I hope there are more adventures of this sort on your trip; fascinating things from a safe vantage point. Hope the next few days are greater than what you ever thought they could be! Stay safe and have fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moment I heard it on the news, I thought of you and wonder if you were caught in it. Glad it wasn't so bad... for you at least. Like LIQ said, I wish you more fascinating thing like this... from a safe point of view! :)
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like west Texas to me. We could see those Dust Storms coming. You better get into cover quickly.
    Congrats on meeting Spo. I love his blog. I hope I get teh shirt soon.

    Hope you have fun out there.

    WOOF
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so cool you got to meet Spo! And although it was a little scary, I think it was cool you got to see a sand storm. Who knew those kinds of things happened in America?

    Isn't funny that the minute you leave Spo this storm pops up? You didn't piss Spo off, did you? Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much of a pain as it is, that dust storm looks SO cool.

    Glad you got to me Spo. He and Someone were fun to hang with a few months ago. ....and you know you're only 2 hrs from me, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just a Welcome To The Southwest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you Americans have such BIG weather!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. See what happens when bloggers collide!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool photos -- hope you were able to floss after getting a faceful of dirt. Great you were able to meet Michael. I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great picture of the two of you. I enjoy both your blogs and I know from personal experience how nice it can be to meet bloggers you've only known online. Glad you had such a nice time (of course not counting the dust storm... sounds like one of the 7 signs the world is ending).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was very happy to meet you finally; I do hope we stay in touch.
    And what timing to arrive for this whopper storm - I've lived here 5 years and have never experienced anything like it. Everything is covered in dust now. I can smell it in the house too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing. If I ever had any thoughts of retiring to Phoenix or that area of the country you just cured me. I'll take the mosquitos, flies and fetid humidity of the eastern coast of Delaware before I opt for the Iraqi like dust storms of Arizona. No thank you. Again, thanks for sharing. It must have taken quite an effort on your post to post. You have an appreciative audience here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am jealous you met Spo before me... but isn't it fun meeting fellow bloggers... I have been fortunate to meet many over the last 5 years... it is awesome.... glad you got the chance... and maybe someday, we will meet... the sandstorm thing was crazy...

    ReplyDelete