Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Age of Music

Last night, John and I went to see the Goo Goo Dolls, opened by Michelle Branch and a band called Parachute.  It always amazes me how many songs I'm familiar with that I either don't know the name of the song or who sings it.  Having somewhat of a background in music (at least singing in choir and playing piano), I tend to listen to the music and harmonies rather than the words.  Even songs that I know the words to, often times I don't even know what the song is about.  To me, I feel the music and that tells me what it's about... at least in my interpretation.  A seemingly happy song can strike a chord with me in a somber way and it skews the meaning for me.  Vulnerability and emotion seems to be the underlying attractions to a particular song.

The concert was great... and there was a laid back vibe to it, fortunately.  I had some anxiety about how it would play out... would I have to jump in some mosh pit and get my outfit dirty... or perhaps wear my hoodie while it's 85 degrees out and be sweating next to kids named Jacob, Josh and Jared?  I didn't have to do any of that, which was good.. and we had a great time.  John and I have been laying around listening to music here and there, and it's easy to see that we have different tastes.  Our age difference accounts for a good deal of that, but my varied tastes in classical, opera, broadway, lounge, big band, country, foreign and some other odd things makes up for the rest.  Not to age myself, but with some of his music, there's a lot going on... and it tends to scramble my head... I still loves me some Godsmack once in a while, but only in moderation.  I used to be able to sort out background noise, but now it seems as though I can't talk on the phone with the radio or TV on in the same room... or talk on the phone when someone is talking on theirs in the same car.  I can't concentrate on the words or the music, and it just comes at me. 

I love being exposed to new things so I look forward to listening to more that he likes.  If I had to come up with my explanation of today's music, I'd have to say it's coffee house with a shot of Red Bull.  I picture hipsters with beany hats and hoodies and eye-liner with an energy drink and iPhone in hand, twisting and turning at some rave in their skinny jeans...

OMG... LMAO... WTF?  I am old.

7 comments:

  1. Just this morning Bill and I were talking with our friend Bob how we don't play music any more in our houses. I remember back in the 80's I had speakers in every corner of my bedroom, blasting dance music. When I was younger I used to play classical music on my little record player. These days, while we still like music, we find that we work better without the music. I had this new house wired for in house speakers, I only use them when I have company over for dinner. The only time I use music now is background to composing ny blog and comments to other's blog postings. I guess this change comes as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for myself can't do anything at all if there's music playing, even the one I don't like. I can't listen to music on the bus, or the subway or while walking around...

    To listen to music, I must absolutely sit down and do nothing else!
    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way... when I was younger, I always had music on. Now, other than when I'm showering... I don't have much playing at home... and most times in the car either. In fact, I went that 1200 miles in the car out west and barely listened to music. I'm appreciating the quiet as I grow older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. anne marie in phillyJuly 28, 2011 at 7:55 PM

    guess I am half-n-half. I want the music in the car and at work and at the gym for motivation.

    and sometimes at home, like soft jazz on sunday mornings with the newspaper and a cuppa cawfee.

    but then, in the mornings when I first wake up, it's silence. beautiful, wonderful quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as a Good Time was had by all ! I took my nephew and two friends to the Idol Concert nite before last and that puts age into perspective watching 8000 screaming 13 year old. (and their mom's and dad's)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hohoho
    I don't want to hear a word from you about being old!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm 35 and still rocking to Linkin Park and Nickelback... though hip-hop is still not to my taste. Hmmm, wonder how it will be like when I hit 40? :)

    To me, age and music has no conflict. Just listen to whatever that pleases you when you want to - classical or jazz or pop whatever. We don't have to feel 'old' just because we can't stomach the beanies and hoodies and eye-liner, we have our own brand of classics anyway!

    It's good to maintain an open mind to learn the tastes of your partner, whether or not you'll like it is another matter.

    ReplyDelete