Monday, May 2, 2011

Weekend Recap

There's such an energy in Columbus that I don't feel here in Pittsburgh.  It's amazing how it's further in the midwest, and yet it feels more progressive in many ways.  High Street is littered with art galleries and trendy restaurants and progress... and the gay presence there is two-fold.  We had a great time taking in some shopping and partaking in some bar-hopping.  We got home around 3 yesterday... and I slept for 5 hours... woke up for 3, then back again for another 8.  I am definitely looking for some quiet time today.  One thing that I'm noticing more and more as I get older... I need quiet time.  3 hours in a car with GaGa blasting wore on my last gay nerve.


The expectation of quiet time is perhaps ill-timed, considering the events of the world last night.  With Osama Bin Laden now dead, it offers both peace to the families of those killed by his terrorist's acts, but also provides fuel to his followers in their expected acts of revenge.  Only time will tell, but I think it's going to get worse before it gets better.  I'm all for capital punishment, but I don't feel vindicated that he was killed... and some of the celebrations are making me feel uncomfortable.  We already have a bad light in the international arena without adding our whooting and hollering like we just won a football game to the list of arsenal.  It's called a moment of silence for a reason.

This past weekend wasn't exactly a model weekend for watching what I ate.  I've fallen off slightly, lately.  A few too many sugarless candies... a sponge cake or two... a few Diet Cokes... it all adds up.  I haven't gained any weight and my fat percentage is still around 15.5%, but I feel like maybe by not hitting the gym hard these last couple of weeks, muscle is being used as fuel.  With all the rain, haven't been working as much as I anticipated, and a few spinning classes might be much-needed.  I need to take a step back to basics and get on track.

7 comments:

  1. Columbus is a cow town, but a really fun cow town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try not to be a spelling or grammar corrector because I know I am very far from perfect myself, but in this case I have to. I think you meant to say mercilessly not mercifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a good weekend.

    You've worked hard to get where you are.
    I hope you're able to nip this slip in the bud.

    This is not a criticism. I've been there, and I know how easy it is to spiral back up on the scale. Before you know it, you can be back to where you started or worse. I'm confident that you're too smart and disciplined for that, but I also know that the encouragement of well-wishers can be a bit of a motivator. Again, my comment is meant to be a motivator and not a criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in Columbus for about 7 years working at Ohio State University Hospitals. I loved it there and met some great people. Rent was relatively cheap and what I liked about it is that it's a "small city" with lots of friendly gay people living there. What I hated was the weather. The University there makes it more liberal than the rest of the mostly conservative state that Ohio is.
    Your friends are hot!
    As for Osama, I agree with with you about wanting to celebrate. There are probably many others ready to take his place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A whole sponge cake? or two??

    Or did you eat a twinkie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate to say it, but I turned to sponge cake as my comfort food... I ate a few over the last couple of weeks. I've never been a Twinkie person... unless we're talking about cute, young, fuzzy guys... then I'm all over that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a good weekend. I've never been to Columbus, but when I travel I tend to overindulge so I can sympathize.

    ReplyDelete