Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pittsburgh: Gaybirds and Jailbirds

I was watching a skit on The Daily Show last night and they did a piece on 'The Gayest Cities in the U.S.'... and was surprised to see that Pittsburgh came in at number 5, beating out New York City, Provincetown and Ft. Lauderdale/Miami... with San Francisco coming in at #11.  WTF?  I have lived in Las Vegas... and I can attest that there isn't much gay life there at all... and as for Pittsburgh... it's fairly gay... but not like NYC, SF and Miami.  The study was done by Advocate Magazine, so you think they'd know what they were talking about.  I don't get it.

When I got out of my old neighborhood, things were getting pretty bad with violence and vagabonds and the like.  Interestingly enough, they just moved the police station 4 blocks away, and it seemed to make things worse.  My Aunt told me the other day of an art student who was shot dead in the neighborhood, but I didn't get any of the details.  I'm not really a news whore so I really don't pay that much attention... figuring if it doesn't happen within 25 feet of me (the idealogy for my original blog name, Trouble in My Bubble), then it's none of my business, having enough to worry about already.  Last night, I just happen to catch the first minute of the news because one of my progrums was ending at that time... and it turns out that the kid was shot 20 feet outside the front door of my old house.  It puts things into perspective... that could have been me, for all the times that I was out front picking up litter, etc.  I'm just glad that I got out of there.  What is this world coming to?


4 comments:

  1. I can come and protect you from the bad boys mi chico maravilloso ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah it's getting worse and worse. We better stay at home and lock the doors ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank god me and chris dont really do the gay scene
    WALES doesnt have one!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for Minneapolis! Now if only I could find a date...

    ReplyDelete