I got some of my test results back today. Everything came back pretty normal. My cholesterol was slightly higher than normal, which can be attributed to my protein shake mix and raw egg that I blended in each morning until earlier this week. I also haven't been doing much cardio lately with work and all. Everything else is good. As soon as I get caught up at work, I plan to get back to the gym and do a few spinning classes. That should help clean it up a bit. I'm still waiting for the Factor V Leiden test results.
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Tids and Bits - Rapture Rap-Up
Well, I don't know a ton of Bible-pounders to be able to tell if anyone was plucked up... but I'm pretty sure that Rapture came and went without occurance, except confirmation that the guy that concocted this theory, now in his 2nd or 3rd attempt to predict this sort of thing, is bat-shit crazy just as I suspected. I have to admit that I took a minute or two (tops) to put some thought into it as to whether or not I'd be 'picked' (especially after receiving a comment on my post Raptor, and the person offered that joking about this suggests that I am scared and that's how I was dealing with it). It brought back memories of grade school where I was the skinny kid chosen last for the dodge ball teams. And then I grew up and realized that being chosen wasn't all that it's cracked up to be. You'd really have to care about the sport and have a respect for the rules and have a sense of participation for the outcome of win or lose to really matter. This obviously isn't me... then or now, whether dodge ball or belief in some higher being. So, while I would imagine that the people that are invested in religion should have been a little worried today... I really didn't give a shit... and, more so... the only thing that I remain scared of are people that would truly rationalize the whole thing as being realistic... but at the same time, admiring them for their sense of imagination. I mean, we're just talking about a man walking around talking about his theories of things that may/might not... happen/have happened... it's not like they're going to put them in a leather-bound book and put them in every Motel 6 nightstand. What are the odds of that happening? Believe what you want to and live and let live, as I always say. See you in 2012 for the next 'hasta la vista' extravaganza!
I got some of my test results back today. Everything came back pretty normal. My cholesterol was slightly higher than normal, which can be attributed to my protein shake mix and raw egg that I blended in each morning until earlier this week. I also haven't been doing much cardio lately with work and all. Everything else is good. As soon as I get caught up at work, I plan to get back to the gym and do a few spinning classes. That should help clean it up a bit. I'm still waiting for the Factor V Leiden test results.
I went to the Blue Moon last night and worked. There's the front bar, where everyone hangs out... and the back bar, which is dead. They want to make me the permanent back bar person and bring this 20-something muscle head guy in to work up front, thinking that he's going to bring business (mainly the young people (who actually have no money to spend on alcohol)) in. First of all, he's not that cute... secondly, he has absolutely no personality and is straight... so while he took his shirt off trying to get more tips, he doesn't want to be touched by anyone, which you can't have both ways in a gay bar. It's a little insulting that he thinks that we are that stupid... that he should make more tips just because he took his shirt off. Lastly, being straight... he has no following to bring anyone into the bar. Aside from all that, he went to bartending school 6 years ago but has never stepped foot behind a bar. He was totally lost last night, even working at the front bar in between me and the manager. It amazes me how some businesses stay open. Anyway, we didn't get out of there until 4 am... I was in bed at 5 am and up at 7:30 to go do landscaping. I made $120 dollars for 8 hours work. Not worth it. It will get worse when I am in the back bar permanently next week, probably making half that.
I've come to the conclusion, based on the fact that I don't need the money, don't need to pin down my weekends for a job that I'm thrown scraps behind some talentless neanderthal and I'm not gaining anything... that I'm going to help the manager train the new guy and get settled with staff and quit, probably in 3 or 4 weeks. I don't want to screw him over, but isn't he basically doing that to me? Why am I always Scooby's idiot cousin, Scrappy-Doo? Why do I always worry about filling someone else's needs before my own, to my own detriment? Those days are gone.
I got some of my test results back today. Everything came back pretty normal. My cholesterol was slightly higher than normal, which can be attributed to my protein shake mix and raw egg that I blended in each morning until earlier this week. I also haven't been doing much cardio lately with work and all. Everything else is good. As soon as I get caught up at work, I plan to get back to the gym and do a few spinning classes. That should help clean it up a bit. I'm still waiting for the Factor V Leiden test results.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

My guess is that the guy at the front bar ends up not working out or possibly walking out (due to his lack of experience, and they end up wanting to move you to the front bar; hence your market value just went up. I hope everything works out to your liking.
ReplyDeletep.s. Congrats on your stellar lab results.
I don't doubt for a minute, LIQ, that it will happen, sooner rather than later. While cleaning up, all he did was bitch that his girlfriend works at a bar and is out of there at 2:20 am, not 4 am... and that he expected to make more money... and didn't realize that there was work to be done to clean up. I doubt highly that he will even come back... and that's what they'll do with me... but the point is... why should I wait for him to quit or get canned? Do I not value myself enough to expect the several things that I bring (schooling, 12 years of experience, a management background, a gay following, etc.) should not weigh in on the front end of the decision process, not as a default... and accepting it as a consequence of his departure only says even less of me.
ReplyDeleteI am so happy that everything is fine with your blood David, I was really worried a bit. Also happy to see us all around and alive ;) And I totally agree with you, you should't sell yourself short. Have a wonderful Sunday!
ReplyDeleteD@vid, maybe the manager hopes/suspects that your being in the back bar will turn it into the happening bar?
ReplyDeleteYou and I have talked before about the work ethic of "today's" generation, which for the most part, is in a very sad state of affairs. Clearly you are aware of your value, even in the matter of tending bar, and I believe that your ability to step back and see how things go, says more about you than you are giving yourself credit for; I see it as a positive, not a negative.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like the manager/owner is not overly concerned about customer service, efficiency, or cash flow. I would guess that if the business were faultering, they would be cowtowing to you.
Your frustration in having to train the "front man," who in reality is you, is evident; unfortunately, it's the new "American Way." Experience and tenure only get you fired first (because of the level of your salary). For the most part, experience is not recognized or rewarded, and promotions are given to the "twenty-somethings," which we "forty-somethings," are expected to train.
I'm not sure what your discussions were prior to accepting the position, but is it possible there was some type of type miscommunication in regard to the expectations on either or both sides?
Given your experience and talents, it would have been hatural for you to assume that you would be working the front bar, but there is a possiblity that management just hasn't had the chance to get to know your work yet; I don't think it's personal or a reflection on you. Sadly, for Blue Moon, it sounds like that by the time they do realize what they have in you, it will be too late.
If this job is something you would really like to continue doing, perhaps discussing your concerns with the manager and letting your future intentions be known, would put you in a better position to negotiate what it is that you are looking for; afterall, it's supposed to be something you enjoy.
I can personally vouch for your "one-two," count, having seen you as a patron, "tend" bar from the other side; in addition, I have seen you walk up to a bartender (without insult) and guide him through what the drink is actually missing, to be the drink it is supposed to be.
Worst case scenario, you go back to enjoying your Friday nights as a patron, and you get to go home (or where ever the wind blows you), on your own terms. :)
Don't sweat the cholesterol numbers. Those were good numbers a few years ago -- before they changed the scale.
ReplyDelete"I don't need the money ... and I'm not gaining anything." I'm glad and relieved you reached this conclusion.
ReplyDeleteI feel many times like I have my hands tied with the blogs I read. Somethings like your above conclusion (which was clear to me and I'm sure to others), I would not dream of saying to you. Who the hell am I to tell you you're making a mistake? I'm just a reader and you don't know me from Adam. On the other hand, you blogged about it and you've encouraged me to give you honest thoughts and advice. I didn't know what to do, so I did what I usually do in times like this: kept my big mouth shut.
If I knew you better I'd be more upfront and wouldn't hesitate to express my thoughts to you. Maybe someday.
Couldn't agree more with LIQ. For me, the bottom line is "Am I enjoying what I'm doing?" If the answer's yes, than no more question. I worked as a dishwasherhand for 2 years, minimum wage, 2 hours commuting, 40 to 48 hrs/week, and I ENJOYED IT, cause my co-workers were a bunch of great guys! We had so much fun even during the very stressful lunch and dinner hours!
ReplyDeleteBTW I'm glad that we're all still here... and even more QUEER! Yay!
1000g of Niacin before bed will bring your numbers in line .....
ReplyDeleteWe have a lot in common, you and I Dave. I was usually chosen last too for the high school gym sports teams. Probably the worst was once when they were chosing up for teams and NOBODY chose me. Instead, after choosing up, they all ran off to play ball. Talk about embarrassing. But, looking back in retrospect, I think dealing with this rejection made me the strong person that I am now. Rejection doesn't faze me now. The way I look at it, it's their loss. I'm sure you feel the same way.
ReplyDeleteAs far as your bartending future, do what is best for you. No one is going to look out for you but you. Even at your young age you have already learned that. I don't want to sound too cyncical but that is reality.
pishposh to the cholesterol #; there is little real correlation anymore to getting your cholesterol down and a good life.
ReplyDeleteGood luck sorting out the bar job. I thank you for sharing it all with us.
Frankly David, I don't want to be "chosen" and be in the company of the likes of Jerry Falwell and those homophobic Evangelicals.
ReplyDeleteBut one thing does stand out in my mind...the feeble old man who predicted this end of the world crap is sitting on 82 million dollars in his bank account...I guess that makes him one of the "chosen".
great post bud.
saludos,
raulito