Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Spoiler Alert

For those of you who haven't seen The King's Speech yet, I'm going to quote one of the best lines in the movie... "fuck... fuck, fuck fuck, fuckin' fuck fuck fuckin' bugger bugger buggity buggity buggity fuck...ass!".  That sort of scratches the surface of my contempt for the weather at this point.  I've been running back and forth in between rain to get something done over the last week or so... always to wind up covered in mud and soaking wet.  It's miserable and I'm over it.  It really kills the spirit.

Speaking of something that kills, I went for a blood test today to see if I carry the disease Factor 5 Leiden (named after the city in the Netherlands where it was first identified in 1994), which is a mutant blood disorder that causes an abnormality of blood coagulation that increases the risk of thrombosis (blood clots in blood vessels), resulting in 'mini-strokes' and pulmonary embolisms (clots that make it through the right side of the heart and end up in the lung) or death.

It is a hereditary disease, which is where the story gets complicated.  With my research to find my biological parents, I have concluded that George Panyko was my birth father, although it hasn't been proven.  In tracking his family down, it turns out that his sons live right in the area and, oddly, Ron (who would be my birth nephew) works at the Marriott with me.  He's the one that told me about this disease and how both his father and Uncle (which would be my half brothers) both had heart attacks and strokes and one of them lost about 4 feet of intestines due to this, starting in their mid 40's.  I'm going to be 44 next week... and after seeing a coincidental episode on one of my progrums (Body of Proof) where a woman died and Leiden was the diagnosis, I decided it was time.  I also did a full bioscreening which test levels of about 25 different things.  If I have Factor V Leiden, I will have to go on blood thinners, but it will also lend to the idea that I am definitely related to them, although not totally conclusive, but a good indicator that we have the same blood.

In happier news, I got a call from the Blue Moon today.  It appears that, rather than just bartending every other Friday and filling in, I am on Fridays permanently and every other Saturday.  I'm excited... it was fun last week and I made some decent money.  This will be great for my lead-in to Winter... and will keep me busy somewhat during that time.

6 comments:

  1. The Leiden story is really interesting. How long for results?

    Congratz on the Blue Moon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great line from a good movie
    geoffrey rush steals the whole thing for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats about the 'promotion' at work !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I hope you don't have it... even it means continuing uncertainty about your birth family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that all test results will be good for you David, even if it would mean this family is not yours...? But of course I understand that you wanna know your roots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. get the fuck out - you can't be 44. I might have guessed 32, but not 44.

    ReplyDelete