Recently, he met Devin and they are now engaged. Since it was his first girlfriend that got him into a heap of trouble to begin with years ago, I'm hoping that history won't be repeating itself and that he will settle down and continue on his path. I haven't met her yet, but she seems to be level-headed from what he said... and with his recent accomplishments, she must have had something to do with it.
Our history hasn't been exactly good. I moved to Philly for his first twelve years shortly after he was born. I was the absentee Uncle, which meant that I was always good for buying him something when I came home, and that was about it in his eyes. We now have been able to develp a relationship, which I am happy about. Being adopted, having my Mom pass away when I was 28, dealing with my brother's crap and not having any sort of relationship with my Dad until we moved in together a couple of years ago... I've had a rather fractured sense of family... always having been closer to my friends. It's an interesting feeling for him to be one of the few people that I actually have a blood connection. My brother is technically my half brother, and although there is a blood connection, there's no hope of us ever having any sort of meaningful relationship. Short the other 6 or 7 half brothers and sisters that I have that I don't see, my nephew will be it for me in my lifetime. And although it's a relatively simple concept (blood relations) for everyone else in the world, it's an experience that I won't experience much in my life. It leaves me feeling vulnerable, hoping that he doesn't screw it up again.
Being cautiously optimistic and open to a relationship with your nephew sounds very healthy. i wish you luck. Al my attempts at getting closer to any of my family or 4 siblings has failed miserably.
ReplyDeleteah family; it it were not for family I would be out of a job.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have success with some family. May this nephew do well and be close to you too.
WOW........he looks SO MUCH like his mom. It's like looking back at our yearbook. Hope for the best - I hope he doesn't let you down.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy you're strengthening your connection to him. I wish I was closer to my family than I am (I mean in an emotional way as well as physical location). Enjoy it.
ReplyDelete