Monday, May 23, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go Away... And Don't Come Back, Bitch

With a lull in the bad weather over the weekend, I was able to get a lot accomplished and the target is slowly approaching on the horizon.  Soon, I will have my one or two days a week maintenance routine and that's it.  I have a few side projects at the Marriott, one of them in the picture... I tore out close to 30 overgrown, dead, nasty-ass bushes and trees a replaced them with some smaller bushes and rocks.  I still have an ornamental tree to put in the bare spot... and once the grasses grow to their normal height of 8 feet or so, it will provide the perfect backdrop for the new bushes and the annuals that I have yet to put in.  Unfortunately, you can't even begin to understand what this area looked like before from the picture, and I forgot to take a 'before' one.  This is one of the things that I love about my job... the creative side... when I get to tear out and rebuild.  Sadly, I am usually harnessed by a budget and other people's stale ideas, so it's never what I would really do.  Free rocks that I pick up on the side of the road add some texture, but it's no where near what I want.

The weather is supposed to be spotty this whole week, with scattered rain and storms.  Looks like more of dodge-rain landscaping this week to get what I need done.  We're about to get hit in an hour or so with a storm... I'm off today, so I, like the honey badger, don't give a shit.

Thursday is my birthday... of which I'll be 44.  Woo hoo!!  Big deal.  I usually go away for my birthday weekend because it falls around Memorial Day weekend... but this year, I will be working at the Blue Moon Friday and Saturday and don't have much else planned.

8 comments:

  1. I wish I could send you some sunshine over..or me *wink* your work really looks great. I am in a creative job too and really HATE when my bosses don't let me realize my ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish more rain at my place. It's hot as hell here :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Schessler, Jr.May 23, 2011 at 7:10 PM

    Hey Dave! Happy early birthday! Great blog buddy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dohop eyou full of sunshine.
    Please send the rain this away. Our lake are downand we need it badly.
    Hope you have a wonderful birhtday. Play nice at the blue moon.

    Hugs
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  5. anne marie in phillyMay 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM

    if you lived closer to me, I would hire you to landscape my house and you could do WHATEVER you wanted!

    ah well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks beautiful - as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. announce to anybody you can it is your birthday and make your work day a large birthday bash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your style! I can't stand overgrown neglected bushes (except on hot men) that take over an entire area. That's what I have to deal with in my yard.

    ReplyDelete