This feature is for someone who I have become close with quickly, but have never met. We've talked via text, blog comment, email and facebook, but never in person. Regardless, he has become a very important part of my life since we share a lot of the same life experiences, morals, thoughts and ideals.
For those who don't know him, he is the blog author of Idle Eyes and a Dormy, living right outside of Albany, NY with his partner Jeffrey. Sean describes himself as: "Out, gay, married, honest, artist, pacifist, playful, passionate, insecure, working-stiff, husband, friend, free thinker, humanist, bowler, atheist, nudist, sexually-liberated, free-spirited, adventurous, bear-identified, cartoon, comicbook and cosmo loving nutball with a load of insecurities and a wardrobe to match". I would like to add compassionate, caring, talented, committed, enduring... as well as many other attributes too many to list.
Back in April, he had his first art exhibit displaying his works, called 'Superb Men', showcasing his drawings (of which you can see many of them here... Sean's Artwork ) ... many of the male form... many of his super heroes... but all a part of him. “My love of comic book characters results from a desire to be more than I am,” Sean explained (in his artist profile). “I love the characters and the confidence and ideals they espouse, the power they wield that I long for and feel I have never had... Continuing to draw these characters into my adult years is a way for me to hold on to the excitement, wonder and imagination of my youth. My life in all other ways is ordinary...art allows me to be extraordinary.”I think he's already pretty extraordinary and superhero-like... dealing with all things against him... rising above it all and accomplishing all that he does... I only wish he knew all that about himself. I am honored to call him my friend... and I hope that we can meet in July like we're planning to and continue to build a stronger friendship. You don't run into quality people too often in this life time... he's one of them.
Happy 40th, friend!! Hope you have a wonderful year!!

Wow. I am truly humbled. Thank you, David, for this beautiful tribute, birthday wish and for sharing your friendship with me. No better gift could I ask for. *hug*
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tribute to a fantastic human being!
ReplyDeleteI like him too... and have been fortunate enough to meet and hang out with he and Jeffrey... they are awesome... Happy Burfday to him!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice tribute! I am fortunate to have met Sean and Jeffrey a year after I had come out. We became instant friends! I have many fond memories with them before I left Albany and moved to St Pete. We still keep in touch, but it would be nice to see each other in person again. They gave me a CD of "friends" songs and a beautiful "Friends" picture frame with their picture in it. It's right here on my bookshelf in my living room. I'm sure you will have a blast with them when you visit Albany!
ReplyDeleteI consider Sean a dear friend too. I know we will get along fabulously when we meet.
ReplyDeleteGreat feature and topic.
Super post (see how I did that?)! Sean's a great guy and all the things you said. His is a staple in my daily blog reading. Watch out, 40s, Sean's coming!
ReplyDeletewhat a lovely panegyric.
ReplyDeleteyou continue to amaze me with your sweetness and your means with words.
and Sean deserves both - in spades!
See, this is why we love you D@vid.
ReplyDeletethanks, d@vid, for your lovely tribute to a great guy! he is a good friend of mine and I hope to be so lucky to meet him and jeffrey in person this year!
ReplyDeleteYour tribute to Sean was nothing short of incredible. Thank you for putting so much of your time and effort into someone who is so incredibly deserving. Watching the bond between all of you grow and flourish over these past many months, along with your friendships, your talents, your wisdom's, and your heart's, has been nothing less than a privilege and inspiration to me. Thank You.
ReplyDeleteBelated Happy Birthday Sean.
ReplyDeleteOne super tribute.