Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day

Today is a day of remembering those lost... but it seems moreso that it has become synonymous with the kickoff to Summer.  Pools open, people have picnics or hit the beach... and the true meaning gets lost somewhere in the shuffle.  My Dad goes every year to the graves and cleans them up and plants flowers.  It's been a long time since I've done that.  For me, it always cues my birthday, since it always falls on this weekend.
 
With a long weekend, parades and even the big gay picnic in North Park, the only memory I will have of this holiday is working.... all day Friday, Friday evening at the bar... 3 hours sleep... 10 more hours landscaping, Saturday night at the bar... 5 hours of sleep and more landscaping yesterday... and I'm off to cut grass for 8 hours, including a new house that I picked up of the rental person here at our townhouse community... the one that offered me the contract here.  With insurance and probably having to buy a bigger mower, it didn't make sense... but maybe next year it will.  I'm finally winding down with my Spring clean up, mulching and annuals... by the end of the week, I should be just down to my one or two days a week maintenance. 

Yesterday it was 90 degrees and humid as hell.  We went from Winter to some sort of ark building competition to the dead heat of Summer.  I hope everyone has/had a great weekend!!  Enjoy!!

8 comments:

  1. Happy Memorial Day Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading about your landscaping chores brings to mind that spring that I briefly flirted with also being a landscaper (mulch, planting, mowing). While I enjoyed working outside and away from cubicles and the very healthy aspect on my body and mind, I didn't foresee the problems I would have with the weather (heat, rain, etc.) Your job isn't an easy one. I hope you find your balance. I'm still looking for mine. I just came off of working seven straight days at the hotel. And I like hotel work but I'm exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Schessler, Jr.May 30, 2011 at 9:41 AM

    Happy Memorial Day to you Dave....don't work too hard buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your weekend D even tho it doesnt seem like a relaxing one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memorial Day almost seems cruel this year... as we haven't really even had Spring yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you aren't shriveling into a prune. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! I guess this means your tan is looking WAY better than mine, you gypsy. Cut a girl a break, why don't you? Next you'll be getting your ears pierced. I do have some nice hoops that would look great on you...I have to go whiten my teeth.

    p.s. I think you should think seriously about some SPF 70. I'm going to the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Memorial Day is like Halowe'en; it means different things to different people, and it evolves over time to suit people's needs. I hope we can hold onto the original intent which was to honor the dead. Our psyches need a day of Honoring the Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Memorial Day.
    Do you have any vids or any video blog entries? I want to hear your accent.

    ReplyDelete