Monday, February 21, 2011

Home, Sweet Demented, Home

I've felt displaced over the last 5 days.  I haven't had consistent phone or internet service or an hour to myself, so I'm way out of touch with the world and the people and blogs in my life.  As much as I don't think I'm necessarily a creature of habit, I do have my life set up where it works, somehow tragically, and I don't like it when I'm out of my comfort zone for accomplishing things and having things at arm's reach when I need it.  There's something about things working and being easy that I tend to like, considering through my own efforts, I tend to make things harder for myself.

I sometimes feel like I should have moved to New York City when I was younger... it seems to be a recurring regret for me... until I go to NYC.  I don't think it's for me... the people are extremely rude... it's very dirty (I constantly feel like I have to wash my hands, especially after being in the subway)... it always seems like you're moving and never stop... and it's just difficult to get around.  I like to hop into my truck and just get there in the straightest path possible.  Everything there is overpriced (the same burger at TGIF at home ($8.99) was $18.99), but I will say, I absolutely love how NYC is required to put calorie counts on all it's menus.  That really helped me figure out what was best to eat.  Sadly, I still ate two pieces of pizza while there out of necessity (cost and ease), and felt so guilty about it... that and the 20 drinks (Vodka and Diet Coke) that I had over the last 5 days at various bars.  So much for my skinny and sweet figure.  And while I only made it to the gym once the whole time I was gone, I did do about 12 miles of walking, at least.

With half of the city under a bedbug advisory, we were fortunate to have picked a brand-new hotel called The World Trade Hotel.  It was one of those fancy micro-hotels, where everything is modern, but small (except the price ($139, which isn't really that bad for NYC (Eddie's friend got us a huge discount)).  The hotel overlooks Ground Zero and as you look out, you can see them rebuilding the whole area, which is huge.  After we checked in and dropped our bags off, we went up to Time Square to get ready to see our show.

Avenue Q was absolutely hilarious.  Picture Sesame Street, but politically incorrect.  The show featured large puppets, held by actors who mouthed the words and sang, but the puppet they were carrying said and did the same thing.  The characters talk about how growing up with Sesame Street and PBS, their parents assured them that they were 'special' and could accomplish anything... and when they grow up, they realize that's not how the world works.  Some of the topics satirically touched on are pornography, homosexuality, racism and schaudenfreude (German for getting pleasure off the misfortune of others).  One of the characters is actually a portrayal of Gary Coleman (by an actor) (of Different Strokes fame) who went through his own misfortune with going broke after parents stole all of his money.  Who better to show how being 'special' as a child doesn't equate to that in adulthood.  With songs such as "It sucks to be me", "If you were gay", "The internet is for porn", "Everyone's a little bit racist" and "I'm not wearing underwear today", you can see how it was hilarious.

After a car ride to the station, a long train ride up, about 10 subway rides while there, a long train ride home and a car ride back to Philly, I was done being in any transportation, let alone public.  I did some running around and then had to be back to Eddie's for a formal dinner that he and his roommate, John, put on in my honor, inviting a lot of my old friends and people I haven't seen in 10+ years.  John made homemade pasta with crabs in a red crab gravy that was delicious.  For appetizers, he made a huge cheese and fruit tray and clams royale.  We also had a caesar salad and foccacia bread and sat around the table for hours, sipping wine and talking of the old times.  It was so nice seeing everyone and it was the kind of group that, even after a long time not seeing them, things didn't change (see more pics below).  I really miss these guys... my friendship with them is so much different than my friends in Pittsburgh.

The weather has been so screwy lately.  On friday, it was 70 degrees.  On Saturday, it was 40 degrees with 40 mph winds, which made being in NYC brutal.  Today, I left Philly early to get home before the predicted storm hit.  I made it door-to-door in 5 hours, experiencing a little bit of rain and some dense (20 ft visibility) fog before I made it home, only to pull in the driveway and (I swear) have it start to ice.  Before you knew it, it started snowing and before long, everything was covered 20 minutes after I walked in the door.  I couldn't have timed that any better.  I can't imagine how that ride would have been if I got stuck in that.  It's good to be back home.  I want to think that my Dad missed me, but it's not like he came running to the door like a puppy.  The house was still standing, so I'm happy about that.  It's the little things.

(From Left to Right:  John, Brian, Al (sitting in red), Jack, Scott (sitting in gray), Ken (stooping), his bf Steve (sitting in light gray), Eddie and Me)

Backstory:  John is roommates with Eddie and dated Scott for a bit.  I met Eddie and Scott (my ex) around 1992 while country line dancing and Scott's been with Al forever now.  I know Jack through a former gay employer, who is now friends with these guys.  Ken and I almost dated, and people always got us mixed up on the street... now he's with Steve.  Not pictured but also attended but had to leave were Robert and his bf, Tony... and an old friend of mine, Michael and his bf, Jim.


















4 comments:

  1. I concur NYC is for when we are young and bold.
    Your photos are lovely, each man more handsome than the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love NYC, even with the dirt and the rush; and, for the most part, i find New Yorkers very nice.
    Looks and sounds like you had a great time with great friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD FRIEND + GOOD FOOD MAKES THE DRIVE AND PIZZA WORTH IT EVERYTIME !

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is Scott????? Almost as cute as YOU!

    ReplyDelete