Monday, February 7, 2011

Burying My Head In The Sand

Lately, I've felt so removed from the world... not because I'm hiding away like a shut-in, but because my tolerance level for almost everything is non-existent.  When you see something in the media, you feel like you're being held down and force-fed and there's nothing you can do about it but sit there and take it.  I go from getting angry, wanting to scream detest... to being frustrated that there's no outlet to be heard... to being apathetic, feeling that it's not going to make any difference anyway.  The rhetoric... the hypocrisy... the bullshit... will all go on and on.  I can't take it any more.

Yesterday would have been Reagan's 100 birthday and I'm surprised the Republicans didn't offer him up for sainthood.  The problem is that he should have been the last person on earth that Republicans should be honoring, considering that he doesn't stand for anything they pretend to be about... with the further problem of them not knowing what they want to be... and history and facts have no place in that decision process.  Again, I will state, I don't care what party comes up with the solutions... I would back a Republican with answers... but they need to get their heads out of their asses like the Democrats need to get theirs out of the sand.  Somebody step up to the plate.

Here's some highlights from Reagan's tenure (some that the Republicans seem to overlook):

1. He raised taxes in seven out of 8 years in office, 11 times in his administration.  While Governor, he signed into law the largest tax increases in the history of any state, and state spending nearly doubled.
2. He nearly tripled the budget deficit during his administration.
3. Unemployment soared after his 1981 tax cuts, to 10.8%
4. He grew the size of the federal government.
5. He raised defense spending by over $100 billion a year.
6. He signed a bill as Governor that liberalized state's abortion laws, resulting in more than a million abortions.
7. Under the guise of peace, he vowed to rid the world of nuclear weapons, but his military buildup was meant to crush the Soviet Union and put the U.S. in a stronger position.
8. He signed into law a bill that made any immigrant who entered the country before 1982 eligible for amnesty, giving citizenship to over 3 million undocumented immigrants.
9. He vetoed a comprehensive anti-apartheid act on South Africa
10. His war on the Soviet Union was a proxy war fought with funded Islamist mujahidin fighters, funneling billions of dollars, intelligence and weaponry.  The Taliban and Osama Bin Laden emerged from these groups that he helped create.
11. He totally ignored the AIDS epidemic.

4 comments:

  1. He also started off as a Democrat until he switched parties in 1962

    AND

    He starred in "Bedtime for Bonzo"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... that really made me laugh... I needed that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that whole Bonzo thing really pisses me off, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reminding us of the facts
    Another issue; I work with people with ALZ. They seldom develop it suddenly. This implies Mr. Reagan was 'losing it' even in the White House days; something the GOP would never admit.

    ReplyDelete