Friday, February 18, 2011
Fun in Philly
I made it here in one piece yesterday, but not without narrowly escaping disaster. Once I drive 4.5 hours and get off the PA turnpike, I have to get onto the Schuylkill (pronounced skew-kill) Expressway, which is nicknamed 'Sure-kill' because of the way it winds dangerously towards Philly along the Schuylkill River. It's always backed up and there's always accidents. As I was coming down, a Chevy Suburban (the biggest vehicle you can buy short of a tank) was barrelling down and didn't realize that the traffic stopped and they jerked the wheel to the left (fortunately there wasn't anyone in the two lanes next to them) and spun around twice within 50 feet, on the other side of the median, of me. I'm sure they shit their pants, I would have. People are crazy.
Last night, we met up with a bunch of my old friends at a gay social networking event where 100 gays show up at a local restaurant or bar on their off nights and make them a lot of money. Straight places love the gay dollar, just not so much the gays attached to them.
I found my LA Fitness out here, but the gym was kind of run down and scary. I did my workout and then Eddie and I walked around the lake outside of his apartment building. It's 3.5 miles around, so once you get so far, you can't stop. I thought I'd have a hard time with eating, but I'm doing really well so far.
Tonight, we are going to Woody's, the bar that I came out in. On Friday's, they have country two-stepping. That's how I met Eddie and Scott some 20 years ago. It's very social and it's fun to do the line dances. Tomorrow, Eddie and I are heading to New York City to see a show (Avenue Q), meet up with some friends and we'll be staying overnight, coming back to his house on Sunday. Today, it's about 60 now, with the high to be 68 degrees, which is insane for the middle of February. Tomorrow, back in the 40's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Can't wait to hear your review of Avenue Q! We saw the touring company a few years ago when they were in Denver. It was fantastic! Enjoy the signature songs such as "If You Were Gay", "The Internet Is For Porn", "My Girlfriend, Who Lives In Canada" and "I'm Not Wearing Underwear Today".
ReplyDeleteAs the local self-elected President of your Blog fan club, I was giving you another eight hours to post, before I invoked my unalienable rights and took over your space.(lol) Glad you made it in once piece. Have a great time, and don't talk to stranger's. (lmao) Okay, well at least don't bring any home with you.
ReplyDeletep.s. You owe us a "coming out," blog!
just think of my naked body, that will heat you up inside *smiles angelically*
ReplyDeleteSmall world! So you came out at Woody's? I'm taking my new Delaware fiends Bob C., Don V. and Teddy W. with me on March 8th to the flower show where we'll meet up with my longtime friend Don McK. who still lives in Philly. We will have lunch at Woody's. I have many fond memories of Woody's. I haven't been there at nighttime since the 90's though. I used to lunch there almost everyday when I worked at Fidelty Bank at Broad and Sansome. That's a good picture of the Schuykill Expressway. The many years I have driven on that dangerous stretch of road outside of Philly, I have never lost my fear of it. I'm glad you made it safely. Enjoy your stay in Philly. I'm returning again in the summer for a visit to the Reading Market. These days I take the Adult Plus bus trip out of Georgetown Delaware to Philly. That's what you do when you're a 69 year old gay man.
ReplyDelete