Friday, February 25, 2011

Disconnection

I've always been a last minute packer since I hate to need something that's already in the suitcase.  I have a tendency to pack much more than I need by doing this though, throwing a bunch of things in that I'll probably never wear.  I've gotten better.

It's a good thing that I didn't have much left to do today, because other than going to the gym... I spent the rest of the day on family 'emergencies'...

- At 8 a.m, my Aunt called me frantically because she couldn't get channel 2, 4 or 53 on the TV.  Since it was me that convinced her to get cable rather than fishing through the airwaves with a freebie box, capturing 3 or 4 channels, she now has 49 channels... which is about 45 more than she can handle.  After calming her down, I had to explain that with her TV, she had to enter '02' for channel 2, instead of just '2'.. and that local channel 53 was actually channel 9, if she bothered to consult the channel listing I left with her.  Crisis averted... problem solved.

- My brother started with his shit again trying to get money off my Dad so, having had enough, I changed his cell phone number and the home number, so no more calls from my brother until my Dad stupidly gives my brother the number like he did last time.  Crisis averted.  Problem solved.

- My Dad is going to the casino in the morning with my Uncle and needed money... so since I control his ATM account and only leave him $20 at a time so he won't give it to my brother, I had to add more money.  At dinner, he calls me frantically at the ATM machine saying that it wasn't working.  After about 4 seconds, I realized that he was trying to take $50 out of a machine that dispenses $20 bills, and I was obviously speaking Greek when I tried to explain to him that he needed to take out $40 or $60 and why.  Crisis averted.  Problem solved.

Tonight, I had an awesome dinner at the restaurant that I love, Pure and Simple.  I wrote a review on a Urban Spoon and I sent one directly to the owner, saying how much I loved the place and the food.  When I walked in tonight, the adorable waiter that I am in lust with blurted out my name and it took me off guard.  Apparently they all read my reviews and put two and two together and figured it was me.  What embarrassed me was that I said in my review that the "handsome, attentive and polite waiter".... so he obviously knows I am a 'mo.  This could be good or bad... he was awfully friendly to me and gave me a free dessert.  I have Robin working on him... so hopefully by the time I get back, we'll move in together and share a toothbrush.  Go, Robin, Go!!

Because of the phone and text rates while out of the country, I am shutting my phone off entirely once I leave the ground en route to Mexico.  And while that's a scary prospect, I'm looking forward to little communication, especially from my family.  I'm only accessible through comments on my blog, Facebook and email while I'm down there, and none of them have access to any of that.  I'm exhausted already... I have to be up at 5 a.m. to catch a 9 a.m. flight.  I hope I at least get violated in the security line.  Can a sister get a break?

5 comments:

  1. Have a GREAT time--sounds like you need it and you deserve some fun in the sun. You look GREAT in only 45 days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nooooo! We're not friends on Facebook...how am I gonna get my D fix?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun sweetie.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a sensible idea - turning things off for a vacation!
    that is what vacations are supposed to do - get away from it all.
    Trust us - we will still be here, a-waiting.

    ReplyDelete