Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Progress...

Today, despite the rain (torrential downpour, actually), my brother and I were able to get three very large trees cut down at the Marriott as part of the newly approved project. My cousin got a case of the Shingles (and I don't mean to put on his roof), which I hear is very painful... Not as painful as working with my brother in the rain though, I'm sure. It was actually kind of strange working with him... he used to work for a tree removal outfit a few years ago. It was amazing to see him notch out the tree and have it land where he was aiming, especially in a lot full of cars, surrounding trees and a light post... all of which I was hoping not to have to replace. With excessive diarrhea of the mouth, talking merely to hear his own voice and flow of bullshit, you can't help overlooking that he's quite intelligent... not smart enough to stay off drugs, Lord knows, but he is attending AA meetings now and is holding a job, so there's hope yet. He moves in with a friend of his on September 1st... into his first apartment ever in 44 years. Our little boy is growing up right before our eyes. I feel like one of those older parents who are afraid they are going to die before they see their kids attend first grade.

And while he was 30 feet up in the tree, all I could think about was all that he put me through over the last 20 years... that... and the $15k insurance policy I have on him where I'm the beneficiary... and the Dodge Ram Crew-cab 1500 with the Hemi engine that I would, respectfully, call "Dan".

No comments:

Post a Comment