Monday, August 24, 2009

500 Days of Summer

Tonight, our Monday night movie madness group went to see '500 Days of Summer'. Let's just say it would have been better if it was only about 76 days of summer... since the movie dragged on way too long... and the girl in the movie, named Summer, got on my nerves (played by Zooey somebody-or-other). Joseph Gordon-Hewitt was excellent. Here's the 3 days of Summer version... Boy is an idealistic romantic at heart. Boy meets girl who doesn't believe in love. Boy falls in love. Boy and girl have a good time for 300 +/- days, but girl won't put a label on their 'relationship'. Boy presses issue. Girl turns into a raging bitch and proceeds to stomp on the heart of boy. Boy falls into a shame spiral of depression. Girl.... (go see the movie).

I really enjoyed the premise of this movie, but it fell flat. As much as they rammed the relationship and the separate personalities of the two down your throat, I never really connected or felt anything. I actually connected with situations in my life, which is maybe what they wanted. I wanted boy to move on and girl to get hit by a bus. The movie itself was very clever, although trying to be a lot funnier than it really was, but they used a lot of interesting tactics to make it fresh, like using a narrator and some black and white footage and funny sequences. Point of movie: Just because you have something in common doesn't make you soul mates... and while you're trying to force the issue, your real soul mate may have just walked by and you were too busy being miserable to notice.


The acting was good... the premise was good... the presentation of the story was good... so I give it 3.5 petunias out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment