Being adopted, I have never felt a sense of beginning, despite knowing some of the details of my biological parents and growing up in a good environment with my adoptive parents. Still, with two starting points in life, it's hard to feel stability and foundation and I've felt like I've been just wandering through life. It has made me detached, self-reliant and non-trusting, as I tend to keep people at arm's length.
The other day, I was talking about the mess that my nephew got my Dad into as far as the $60k worth of student loans and my friend Robin commented, saying that 'it could have been you that he did that for'. That got me thinking and the fact of the matter is that it wasn't me. In fact, I never went to college because my parents made too much for me to get student loans and they didn't put anything away for us either, and certainly wouldn't co-sign for one at the time. It wasn't me that my Mom did everything for (since I left home at 20 and was basically taking care of myself for a few years prior to that). It wasn't me that my Dad gave $125k+ to over time to try to fix every problem that came down the pike. And although I know that it's just money, it's more than that. It's a gesture and an expression of caring for a person's situation and relieving their pressure.
My Dad is a simple person and he doesn't say many things, and 'I love you' isn't among them. And since he's at the point where I have pretty much taken over everything that he has to worry about, he is just sort of clear minded to go about his business (playing cards, watching Price is Right and playing horseshoes). With me doing everything for him... protecting him... sheltering him...cleaning up after him and taking care of him, it's no surprise that I'd feel like our relationship is a little one-sided. And while I'm not soliciting an intervention or comments of support, I do need to be able to work through my thoughts, through the blog. Putting aside my feelings of frustration from lack of respect, understanding and appreciation... and putting aside his lack of words... and putting aside things like not remembering my birthday... I look for the little things that he does do, like making me pancakes... (sadly, I can't think of anything else at this point). When I think of all the situations that I am dragged into with my brother, every single little bump in the road becomes my problem... it's a given. And yet, in all these years, he has never, ever inquired about how I was... what I need... how can he help me... that never comes in play. It's like we're expected to take on his stuff and he has absolutely no connection to ours/mine. As far as my nephew goes, he will inquire into things (how's the house sale going (since he wanted money from it), or how can he help with our bills (because he wanted to move into our third bedroom and get out of where he is now), but there's always some motivation behind it, and if not, sadly it is buried so far in doubt that I can't possibly see it if it were genuine.I've had friends that consider me their best friend for all that I do to make them happy, to the point that I'm miserable, always putting myself last, and they don't even see it. I've had relationships that look so loving because of the things that I do to make them that way, again, with me miserable. And I have family relationships that, on the outside, reflect a strong family tie... all one-sided efforts... and all with me being miserable. Is this just my perception? For once, I'd like to be on the receiving side so I didn't have to question motives or feelings and there wasn't any doubt in my mind. People around me know how I feel because I will either tell them or show them or both. I don't think that I'll ever have that stability or piece of mind.

David - Some of your posts make me so sad......this being one of them. I know how you feel that you're always the giver......and I so wish you could find someone to spoil you rotten and take care of you, but I don't think that's what you "attract" for lack of a better term. You are a nurturer - a care-taker. It's what makes you YOU. Believe me, there are plenty of times when I feel like I do absolutely 100% NOTHING that is just for me. Every move I make throughout the day is in service to someone else, whether it's the boss, the husband or the kids. I can SO relate to what you're saying. So I don't know what the purpose of this response is - other than to say that I love ya and I get where you're coming from. So when are we getting together again, anyway? It's been like forever since I saw you..........
ReplyDeleteJulie
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. What I meant to say is that YOU could have been YOUR brother. You were both raised with the same set of circumstances and the only thing really different, were the individual choices you made. Your brother made bad choices, you made good choices. I don't think you or I will ever get our due accolades, and I do at times, feel sorry for us. Your brother, the squeaky wheel, always gets the grease; I know, same bat-time, same bat-channel. The day I realized I could have been my brother, is the day my resentment and anger towards him turned into empathy and acceptance. I can say for once in my life, I truly felt sorry for him, and happy for me. It released me. I have never forgotten the years of hurt, disappointment, embarrassment, and frustration, but it has helped me to accept what my life has been, and be thankful for who I am. Luck? Fate? Stars? I don't know. It's important for you to know also, that feelings of rejection and favoritism amongst siblings is very common in families. Brad has a nephew who has been in counseling over it. Don't dwell on these things in your past; remember Emerson? I think you are always there picking up the pieces, because it's what you do, and thank God for it. Your Mother took care of your Father, and now it's become your responsibility. It seems he expects to be taken care of by someone, anyone; it probably doesn't really matter who, it's what he knows. You can't think for a minute he doesn't love you with every fiber of his being, love you to his core. Maybe he can't say it, maybe he can't show it, but don't cheat yourself out of thinking he doesn't feel it, or appreciate you. You deserve more, and you deserve to love, and be loved.
ReplyDeleteDavid....
ReplyDeleteI too, grew up without much support and also didn't know who my father was until I was 13. It turned out that my father was in fact my Mother's foster father. To make a long story short, I was blamed for most of the issues in my family because of where I came from.
How does this tie into your point. Well, I had no foundation and I too learned not to trust people and especially not to trust love. To this day it has had a profound negative effect on my close relationships. I have a hard time believing people and often misinterpret simple things as something totally different. For example, if my partner doesn't call me or answer the phone I sometimes will start thinking maybe hes doing this on purpose, maybe this is all some sort of complicated lie. It sounds silly (and somewhat psychotic) but after much work, and therapy, I have started to learn to try to change my reaction to things.
One of the fundamentals of Buddhism is that " we are what we think. If we think negatively then our life will be negative. If we think positively then our life will be positive." It makes a lot of sense. During childhood years we learned how to interact on a social basis through our parents and peers and we were taught by example how to react to certain situations. What we perceive as being negative often evokes fear, anger, panic, jealousy, and a whole host of emotions. The same goes for something good. Sometimes a situation or image doesn't evoke anything if its perceived as something neutral. The key is that it is all in what we were TAUGHT to perceive things as; negative, positive, or neutral. The key is to retrain yourself on how you view the trigger event. You gave the example of two friends hanging out and not extending an invite. For some that is a positive thing. Maybe your friend needs his space, or maybe the two of them haven't seen each other in a while. For others, its a negative thing. It evokes anger, anxiety and jealousy. Why didn't I get invited? Do they really not like me? What did I do? For some people its a neutral event. So what if they are hanging out maybe it was just an oversight and they forgot to invite me.
The key is to retrain the way you process events and to change your standard reaction. Much easier said than done! Trust me I know!
Recently, as you know, I have really dove into this whole meditation thing. One of the things that they teach you about meditation is something called mindful thinking. Basically when you meditate you clear your mind and begin to focus in on different thoughts that pass through. You try to identify a root cause. For example, I am feeling anxious. Why am I feeling anxious? I am feeling anxious because my friend didn't invite me out tonight. Why does that make me anxious? It makes me anxious because I feel like he or she doesn't really like me. Why does that make me feel anxious? It makes me feel anxious because I don't trust people and I don't like feeling all alone. Why does that make me feel anxious and so on.....until you work your way down to the root cause.
Anyway....just thought I would throw my two cents worth in.