Sunday, October 18, 2009

Steam: A Turkish Bath

I enjoy all kinds of movies and most times, I'm happiest with a foreign one... different directing styles and acting techniques... and besides, how many fucking rom-coms can we watch Jennifer Anniston in anyway?

This clip is, by far, my favorite. It's from a movie called 'Steam: A Turkish Bath'. Without going too far into the plot, the guy in the black shirt travels to Turkey to look after a dead Aunt's estate and falls in love with the guy in the light blue shirt. There's a lot more that goes into it (he is recently drifting apart from his wife, etc.). The two guys have been hanging out for a few weeks now... and regardless of the backstory, you feel everything in the clip, where you see them hanging out on a dock... the light blue shirt one talking to his friend and the dark shirt one admiring him from afar. The moment when the light blue shirt one looks over at the other one, and then does a double take... and they realize the connection... is absolutely beautiful... it sends chills through me every time. I wish I could find someone to look at me that way. Also, at the end of the clip when they are lying next to each other and when the laughter stops, it is an awkward moment again. Stunning.

With the movie's languages being Italian and Turkish, it doesn't even matter. It's written in the language of love. And as Gloria Swanson said (as Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard)... "Words, words and more words... in my day, we didn't need words... we had faces"... proving that so much can be said without saying a word... in the gestures... your eyes...

1 comment:

  1. I loved this film.....

    ps chris is 8 years younger than me!!!

    ReplyDelete