Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tids and Bits

The weather lately has been awesome... down into the 50's at night... finally the hot, humid weather is out of here.  I know some of you love it, but try working in it day after day.  I love that the leaves are starting to fall a bit and the air is crisp.  I have many festivals and such to attend this month and next... I love this time of year.  The picture is one that I took a few years back... I love the picnic tables lined up... it screams 'summer is over, time for caramel apples and pumpkins'.

This past week was crazy.  With being down at camp, then the bartending nights, then three projects over the weekend... I'm worn out.  I'm still on babysitting mode with my Aunt and it seems as though, once a strong and independent woman, she has settled into the role of helpless quite nicely.  I understand that, at her age, it takes longer to bounce back from a surgery, but you have to know her to get that it's not exactly physical... it's more mental.  Now over three weeks from getting out of the hospital, she has barely left the house... and hasn't driven either.  This, from a person who had to get out of the house every day.  Her doctor told her it would take a good 6 to 8 weeks before she felt better, and I think she's bound and determined to hit that time frame exactly.  I'm thinking about going to lunch with her... and having her drive, to break the ice.  In the meantime, I'm running over there several times a day.

Last night was the volunteer orientation at the Humane Society.  We were there for a few hours learning how to put a collar on the dogs and getting them in and out of the cages and the building and we walked a few in the designated area around the shelter, which is one block from John's apartment.  Oddly, in the 7 weeks that I've known him and been over there, I've never seen volunteers walking dogs, until last night.  Anyway, I'm excited about this opportunity... I walked Jake last night, a golden lab... he was such a great dog.  He did make a sissy on the sidewalk though... and I had to clean it up... have you ever cleaned up runny poop off a sidewalk?  Not fun.  The great thing about the program is that there's no set times for the volunteers to come and go... you just go when you can and walk a dog... or 20... so time-wise, it's very flexible.

I volunteered to assist at the Body Electric class that I took twice before.  The recent one that I cancelled when I met John is the next step after this one... so that may be in the future.  In the meantime, I'm excited to help out in running the class.  It will be a new perpective seeing it from the outside rather than being a participant.  I'm happy to be back involved in it since I really believe in the process.  The class is the first weekend in November in D.C.

Here it is, Wednesday of Labor Day weekend and I still haven't figured out what I'm doing.  My choices are Myrtle Beach to see my old friend, Brad (who is usually working a lot and busy sponsoring at AA)... going to gay camp and not having a relaxing time, knowing everyone down there... and Columbus for a few days... which sounds like the best to me.  With a number of friend problems lately and all the running around I've been doing, I'm overwhelmed... yesterday, I thought about dismantling the blog, deleting Facebook, cutting my phone down to just call service and possibly running away from home.  I'll make up my mind today or tomorrow about the trip.

Although my contract runs up until the end of November, I'm already thinking about what to do with myself for the three months I'm off.  The Marriott wanted me to come drive the shuttle van which could be fun... and I still have the bar on Fridays and Saturdays.  I'd like to just putz in some sort of retail or coffee shop position... something out in the public to get in the Xmas mood.  Since I'm not doing it for the money, it makes it easier to choose.  I would also like to do another push for working out like I did last year... in fact, I'm using November's class as the deadline to get back to what I accomplished back in January and February.  I have yet to curb my crappy eating and make it to the gym consistently.  I've only gained 5 pounds of it back, so I don't have a ton of work to do... but motivation isn't my strong suit at this point.  Perhaps tomorrow?

6 comments:

  1. Your phrase, "it screams 'summer is over, time for caramel apples and pumpkins'." really makes me miss the fall time! Fortunately I have a trip planned in mid October to Albany and NYC. Looking forward to the train ride along the Hudson with all the leaves in peak or near peak color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fall too! It's colorful, crunchy, romantic, great to snuggle in bed under the covers, hot chocolate and day trip drives. These are a few of my favorite things. When the dog bites, when the bee stings when I'm... oops, got carried away there. Besides, my wittle guy doesn't bite. He loves people. And kisses. Giving and receiving. Since you like puppies soooooooo much, set up a booth like Lucy did in Charlie Brown. She gave kisses for 5 cents. I'm sure with the cost of living you can charge more today. Or was that Sally? Oh well. We'll stand in line. Does the pet owner get a kiss too? Come to think it was Lucy because Snoopy kissed her and she was screaming and dancing around yuk I've been kissed by a dog. Now I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm in love with "Anonymous!" I was so excited when I pulled up your blog and saw everything all "Fallish." Seems like it was just yesterday, when you were doing your "Fall Festival Rounds."

    The thought of you all "Xmasy" makes me lol a little. btw..I need your stocking back!

    Congrats on getting your certification and volunteering in the community. I'm looking forward to some interesting upcoming "Body Electric" blogs as well as more "Sexy Beast" stuff...I'm talking about the dogs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am mad jealous of your physical advancement. You put me to shame - and inspire !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to be in Columbus over the weekend too. Meet up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blobby... not sure still what I'm doing... it's supposed to rain a bunch... I'm still up in the air. Michael, I gained back 8 pounds... don't congratulate me yet. Back to the gym I go.

    ReplyDelete