Thursday, August 25, 2011

Blair Witch (landscaping) Project

For being a landscaper/outdoorsy person, I'm really a city boy at heart.  Put me on the streets of a downtown area at 4 a.m., and I'm fine... but put me in a country woods setting, and my imagination (fueled by such classics as Deliverance, Blair Witch Project and The Village) goes into overload.  It doesn't help that the camp is far away from civilization surrounded by woods... theres a prison nearby and the local rednecks like to ride around on their quads at 2 a.m. shooting things.  It also doesn't help being in a tent because you are literally a 'sitting duck'.  You can't see what's going on around you, and if someone would come up to the tent, you'd be trapped... and they would thrash you with a machete, splattering your fresh blood all over the waterproof fabric and rain fly.. you'd scream but no one would hear you...(breathes deeply).  Anyway, I think that's why Blair Witch Project was so terrifying for me... it's not what you actually saw that scares you... it's what you hear and don't see.  Between paranoia and 9 hours of torrential downpours with lightning, thunder and high winds, I got very little sleep.

The project went off pretty smoothly... I had precut the wood at home, so all I had to do was screw the grill bump-out together... it took no time to assemble.  Sculpting the beds was a little more of a challenge since the area was full of crabgrass.  I needed the dirt to raise the beds, so I basically had to dig it up and pound it against the ground to knock the dirt off.  I dug the fire pit, planted the plants, put the mulch down and added some decorative rocks.  All-in-all, it was a fun, creative project.  It's not very often that I get carte blanche to do what I want, and although there was a definite budget and request for maintenance-free plants, I appreciate my friend's trust in me to do what I think is best, taking into consideration his needs.  It would have been amazing had I been able to plant some flowers, etc... but it's so late in the season and he's only down there on the weekends.... they'd probably die.

It was a nice couple of days out in nature... I saw 18 deer, 6 raccoons, a turkey, and a chicken (that almost lost his life trying to cross the road in front of me).  I got to see my friend, Scott, and was able to just relax a bit as well.  It was nice to be at camp when there weren't a lot of people there.  I'm considering going there for Labor Day week/weekend... we'll see.  I'm still up in the air.



















16 comments:

  1. I remember camping on Roberts after a holiday weekend. 400+ people down to maybe 10. And it stormed, so I totally get what you mean by being creeped out. You hear EVERYthing. And being in W.V,...well...insert banjos {here}. I don't think I slept more than 15 mins at a time. I felt like such a pussy come the morn.
    Pics look great. As always, busy as a bee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an imagination!...but the project looks awesome.

    saludos,
    raulito

    ReplyDelete
  3. anne marie in phillyAugust 25, 2011 at 6:38 PM

    OMG, that's gorgeous!

    if you ever get bored, my 1/2 acre could use a serious cleanup, new sidewalks, etc. and you could visit philly friends too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work, sir. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job!

    Looks like a wonderful place to spend some time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome back from the wilderness cowboy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how the curves of the planting beds soften the linear lines of the deck. Nicely done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.......you do good work, son. I am reminded of that every time I walk out my front door!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...that looks amazing. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To second the others .... excellent job ! I might have a potential lead for you in the North Hills area if your taking on clients. Will email you if/when I get the info sir.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a fine piece of work there! I especially like the area where there are 2 long chairs and a water feature(?) and potted plants, plus the fire pit.
    Pardon me for asking as I don't see such setups where I'm at - that fire pit, you can do a bbq over that pit?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you react to The Blair Witch Project exactly the same as I do. It's the same for the Paranormal Activity films. It's not what you see, but what you don't that terrifies me more than anything. I still can't go camping without at least once thinking of the scene with the children's laughter in the middle of the woods during the darkest part of the night. *shivers*

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have opposite ideas about woods versus the city!

    ReplyDelete
  14. by the way, did you learn why the chicken crosses the road?

    ReplyDelete