I usually love traveling by myself, but today was the first time that I wished that someone was with me. Not being able to convey the beauty in words or pictures, I needed someone there with me to mark the moment. The experience was unbelievable, and I just wish that I could have shared it with somone. I got really sad.
I started up one of the paths towards Angel's Landing. Before I knew it, I the path led us to narrow walkways with no railings, winding up towards the top. My instinct was to turn back (with my fear of heights), but decided to just have faith in the experience and I kept climbing and climbing. Finally, after about an hour, I reached the top of the mountain... probably thousands of feet in the air... to Scout's Lookout... positioned so far above the canyon floor it made my head spin.
At the top, I sat down to reflect on the trip up and the many vistas along the way and started to talk to an earthy-crunchy couple sitting close to me, Christie and Nicholas, from Texas and Sweden, now both livig in the west village in New York City. Turns out they have been on a trek across the country for a month or so in their 1979 camel-colored Lincoln Town Car, freelance writing for a classic car blog (Petrolicious.com (due to be up and running sometime soon)) where people with older cars go on these adventures with their cars and blog about it and take pictures. Starting out in NYC, they headed down to Key West, the across through Texas and on to Vegas before ending up sitting right next to me, then heading to north rim Grand Canyon and back through Vegas to go up the west coast to Oregon and then back home again. I was in awe of them, being that traveling like that has always been a dream for me andbecause they were so cool... very outdoorsy and anti-establishmentarianistic... we had an awesome time talking and walking back down off the mountain and then to the adjacent town for dinner, where I learned more about them and the story of how they met.
You never know why people come into your life. These two made me day. At a moment where I was so sad about being alone, they helped mark the moment for me and made it one of the most fantastic journeys of my life... one of perseverance, overcoming fears, experiencing phenomenal beauty and taking charge of my emotions. What a satisfying experience. Some of these pictures mark the challenges of the path up to the top and back down again.
Tomorrow, I am going back to Zion because there's so much I didn't get to see. In the pictures, see if you can find the people, cars and buses that are mere specks against the huge backdrop of rock mountains. Click twice for the large picture.
Waterfall
See the people?
See the people on the facing wall?
These people climbed out with only a chain to hold
Looking down from the top... see the double bus?
The winding path up/down
This is a fabulous creative emotional heartfelt blog post, Dave...... and thanks for the memories....having grown up in the west and living In Utah for a few years, I KNOW that country.....and will empathize with your thoughts...I WOULD want someone there to share it with....it's too powerful a thing. There IS some striking things IN the desert that grab you when you see them. THANKS for inspiring ME TOO today.....and remember when YOU get to Oregon, you have a place to stay with Rodger and I......it would be great to meet you and show you the Columbia Gorge, etc......
ReplyDeleteLove the way you brought things to scale with pointing out objects in the pictures. I'm putting your link on my FB page for anyone who wants this experience. Really cool that you met they couple from NY to share things with. Funny how fate comes along at just the right moment, sometimes.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could've been there with you to experience this. I absolutely love Zion, and had this sickness not done me in for the week, I would've joined you in a heartbeat.
ReplyDeleteWow, fantastic views. I try to have the mindset that things are unfolding as it should. If you had been with someone you most likely wouldn't have met Christie and Nicholas and not gotten to hear about their great adventure. Even though having someone to travel with is great there are other perks.
ReplyDelete