Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day One: Vegas

I arrived in one piece here in Vegas... it was a great flight and we actually got in really early.  I'm always shocked by the desert, coming from the lush and vegetative hills of Pennsylvania.  Is hard to fathom how much of the U.S. is actually desert.  I've said this before, but you can't help but be aware of the environment out here and conservation of resources, especially water, comes instinctively. Is 81 with little humidity here... feels like Spring.  As I told my friend, Robin... the heat out here is like getting a gentle hug and a pat on the head by a cute boy... compared to the humity at home, which is like being back-handed about the head and neck by a moustached cafeteria worker named Helga while listening to Michael Bolton's greatest hits CD... in other words, it's painful and nasty.

I leave tomorrow via a short two hour car ride to St. George, Utah where I'll be staying for the next 5 days while I check out the surrounding canyons, particularly Bryce and Zion and we'll see after that.  I rented a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, which they pushed on me but, hey... it gets 45 mpg which will make a difference on a trip like this... last year's total was 1,200 miles driven in a week. 

While in Vegas, I've never went to the top of the Stratosphere or the Eiffel Tower at Paris Casino... so I'm off to do that now, then meet up with some friends I have here at the local country gay bar.  I don't really gamble (although I did win $5.00 in the airport waiting for my luggage), but I'll probably check out my favorite sites at a few casinos... and definitely Del Taco... my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment