Monday, July 2, 2012

Able to Leap Ragweed in a Single Bound...

This season has kicked my ass so far.  With the early Spring/Summer, all I've been doing it seems is cutting grass.  Up until a week ago when everyone's grass died since we haven't had much rain in three weeks and temperatures in the nineties (I almost had heatstroke several times), I was cutting grass every couple of days since the middle of March... I usually don't start cutting until the end of April.  And while I usually get done with mulching around the second or third week of May, I just finished up today.  Ugh. 

I took on the grass cutting of several friends and relatives this year (about to add another), so that has added to my lack of time... and my deck business has been really good, finishing up one last week and drawing out two more this week.  With my back situation in December getting me off to a cautious start this year and (thankfully) the Marriott's audit (that's usually in the middle of May) was in February this year, so while I'm usually rushing to get everything done, this year I didn't have to rush or concern myself with it since it was done before I even started.  I'm much more tired, achy and worn out this year.

Several of the hotels around the Marriott have come down and stopped me and asked me to bid on their contracts since they're not happy with the big companies they have.  Not able to keep workers or hiring young guys who don't care about the work they do makes those companies lose their business.  For example, the company that was doing my Aunt's house used to be in and out in 11 minutes (she timed them), and it takes me an hour and a half with the quality of work I provide.  So I'm at a point where I have to seriously think about whether I want to expand my business and possibly become one of those companies that do shitty work.  I would also have to go legit and hire another person, get liability insurance, get a truck (and give Terry (my Subaru lesbian car)) to my Dad and buy a bigger trailer and possibly bigger lawn equipment.  It's an investment, but it would pay off in probably an extra $3-5k a month.

At this point in my life, I struggle with my non-aggressive/non-ambitious side that really enjoys my life exactly as it is... and then there's the side of me that says I should do more, but risk my time off and trips, etc.  At this age, I am happy right where I am... I did the whole corporate ladder-climbing thing and I'm over it.  I fall into the trap of being good at something and wanting to help someone out and not saying "no", usually to my own demise and the benefit of someone else.  I enjoy what I do, so that's a plus.

I leave on Thursday for a week out west... flying into Las Vegas then heading to Utah for 5 days (Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, etc) before I fly out of Vegas again.  It was this time last year that I did my Phoenix/Sedona/Flagstaff/Grand Canyon/Vegas/Lake Havisu trip by myself, just as I like it.  Maybe I'll ponder my plight overlooking some beautiful vista and it'll all come together.  Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment