Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Long and Winding Road

It's been a long 24 hours.  Anticipating that I was heading down to camp today, I sat down last night to draw up the plans for the two sets of stairs.  I didn't want to do the traditional stringer-style, so I did a tiered 'birthday cake' style instead, for something different and unique.  After about two hours of drawing it out (taking into consideration overlapping boards and overhangs, etc), I decided to run out to Lowes to get the lumber at 9pm last night and brought it all back to the garage.  Overhanging 6 feet from the back of my truck, I knew that I had to pre-cut the pieces to get them down to camp or I would get a ticket or they'd fall out on the way.  So I got up at 6am and started measuring, marking and saw-cutting the boards (my neighbors were probably mad, but I have to listen to their kids screaming and bouncing the basketball all day, so 'F' them).  I packed everything up and headed for camp, getting there around noon and got done around 5.  It was a gorgeous day today... and the ride up the mountain winding roads was spectacular.  The project went off without a hitch due to my pre-planning and I had very little waste and was left with 5 screws.  I got home around 7:30, unloaded the tools and vacuumed the truck out.

It was a really great project.  I enjoyed working on it by myself and I'm proud of the finished product, but I'm glad it's done for now.  We'll be doing some lattice under the trailer and some landscaping and a fire pit.  I have my two bar nights... and a little grass cutting... but other than that, I'm skating by until I head out west next Tuesday.


The stairs are just a series of outlined boxes with supports in the middle and deck boards on top with a slight overhang, stacked one on top of the other.










13 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I wish I was half as handy with wood and saws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can be proud of your industry; I admire someone who can do what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now if there were only fondant.... ;-)

    The whole deck assembly looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are sooooooo talented with the tools and the wood and stuff! And leave it to a gay-boy to make simple steps aesthetically pleasing to the eye! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boo hoo no nearly pics of the handsome man constructing the stairs.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are we going to see of you with out your shirt in tight shorts, While you are working?

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  7. could u also build the stairway to my bedroom? u'll get a special reward for your hard...work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your carpentry work just looks beautiful... stylish and functional!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work. Felicidades. One question. How did the tenants manage before the stairs? Are they good jumpers?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blown away by your new blog design...it's spectacular. I feel a T-Shirt coming on...So excited for you about the undertaking of your new deck building venture. If it starts taking off, maybe some type of "signature" design; an "original" D@vid. Who would have thought "Stamped Concrete" would be all the rage.

    I hope you are able to take time before your trip to breathe, and reflect on how much you have accomplished over the last few weeks; "gently" pat yourself on the back. In the mean time, find a nice boy to lotion you up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous: There are fold-away stairs that are attached to the trailer that they used... they are hidden behind the new stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had this kind of talent that comes so easily to you. I am impressed. Both of my brothers (who are straight) have this talent. Sadly, I don't. I am a good gardener and cook though.

    ReplyDelete