Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

We're definitely the product of our parents.  In my case (and for this exercise), I'm referring to my biological mother... the vagabond, wandering gypsy.  With a man in every port, she couldn't be held down by a boyfriend, job, husband or her kids... she had to keep going, never getting her fill of life and what it had to offer... in her case, instability and about 9 children, but I digress.  If there's anything that I inherited from her, it's this constant state of unrest that I'm in.  Always on the go... always looking for a new experience... always wanting more from life.  Nothing makes me more happy than to be behind the wheel of the car heading in some unknown direction without a plan.  It's about the journey, not the destination, and I've done more than my share of enjoying some great journeys.  While other people amass property or cars or material things, I collect memories and experiences.

With a few goals in mind, I not only wanted to get away and explore, but I also wanted to put some closure on my depressive spiral called 'my move to Vegas'.  Hitting the lowest and darkest point of my life when things didn't work out and standing on the edge (literally, of the Grand Canyon, ready to end 'it'), I haven't been back there since.  That was about 4 years ago... and I've come back from the brink stronger than ever, but I'd like to face my demons in this trip.  I'm going to see a few friends I met out there... visit a few places that have some meaning in relation to that time period... and put it to rest.

I acted too quickly in booking the trip, not thinking about it before locking in the car and flight, when I should have extended the trip a few days, but now can't.  Because of the geographical layout of the Grand Canyon (no easy way around it) and the distance between things that I wanted to do, I had to cut out Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park, otherwise, I'd spend most of the days driving 5 hours to each thing.  I was fortunate to get great prices on the hotel and car... and found hotels all under $65 a night that were decent and clean, so it should be a relatively inexpensive trip. 

I really connect to the desert.  It speaks to me.  It's not about what's there... it's about what was there.  You can't help be overwhelmed with understanding of history and time... and a sense of mystery and compassion for the earth.

Here's the final Itinerary:

July 5th… Fly into Phoenix at 11 am… explore Phoenix and Scottsdale, dinner with Ur-Spo and Someone, staying in Phoenix.July 6th … Leave for Sedona (2 hrs away), Verde Hot Springs, etc…. staying in Flagstaff.


July 7th… Leave for South Rim Grand Canyon/Helicopter tour (2 hrs away) or stay to see more of Sedona, etc, staying in Flagstaff


July 8th… Leave for Las Vegas (3.5 hrs away)… see friends there… staying in Las Vegas


July 9th… Tour Death Valley, Mt. Charleston, Lake Mead/Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon… see friends there…staying in Las Vegas


July 10th… Tour Death valley, Mt. Charleston, Lake Mead/Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon… see friends there…staying in Las Vegas


July 11th… Wrap up in Vegas, leave for Phoenix (4 hrs away) via Lake Havasu… staying in Phoenix


July 12th… Fly out back to Pittsburgh 10 am

9 comments:

  1. I think I am jealous, and I don't even like the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Schessler, Jr.June 8, 2011 at 5:25 AM

    Sounds like a great trip Dave! Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It's not about what's there... it's about what was there."

    Brilliant thought, and applies to a great deal of things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fantastic trip. I wish I could be there for the meeting of two of my favorite bloggers. I hope someday I, too, will have such a trip to blog about. Yay for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will carry your suitcases for you and do all sorts of unseemly things if you let me go with you. There are few things that I find more comforting than a solo road trip. I totally understand where you are coming from on a variety of levels. I never got to meet my biological parents so I don't know if I am better off not knowing or if having some understanding about the inexplicable things about myself (the wonderlust gene in your case)would be better. Safe travels and please share the adventure when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a 'jolly good time.' I am so envious. I wish it was me on the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am delighted to meet you!

    For the wanderlust in you - look up my favorite poem of all time - Ithaka by Cavafy

    ReplyDelete