Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Phoenix or Bust

I finally had 5 seconds to sit down and think about my quickly-booked trip to Phoenix.  After taking a look at the places that I wanted to see (Phoenix, Sedona, Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon and Las Vegas), I'm realizing that I either need to cut things or add time... which the latter isn't too much of a reality.  I'm kind of locked into my flight and car... and booked my hotel the night of my arrival into and departure from Phoenix.  The thing that makes it so difficult is all of those spots are, on average, 4 hours from each other... which means a lot of really early morning driving to get to them and still have a decent amount of time to actually see them.  The other thing that I'm realizing is that I need to choose how physical I want to get at these places, taking into consideration the time that I'll have allotted... do I do the car tour, or do I do some hiking?  Five hours hike down into the Grand Canyon and 7 hours out can't be done in one day.  The other thing weighing my decisions down is that the physical location and size of the Grand Canyon... with no easy way around it... adds time to the trip and could possibly add a lot of backtracking if I don't make the total loop.  It's difficult to eliminate points of interest when you have to pass them to get to another one... you might as well stop if you're passing.  I have to figure it all out.  The three pics are the Grand Canyon... with Zion to the right of it... and Bryce underneath.

I had a shitty night at the Blue Moon on Friday... especially after I heard the neaderthal ask how to make a vodka martini... that's what you learn the first 6 minutes of the 40 hour bar tending course.  What an idiot.  Anyway, I called and quit on Sunday, but didn't realize that the Manager called and told me they got rid of him and offered me Friday and Saturday night permanently at the front bar... so I accepted.  Without the idiot there, it should be fun again.... we'll see.  I'm less apt to put up with bullshit now.

Back to the grind at work... getting a lot of things done with the weather being nice, although hot and humid.  I really only have a few more days of mulching and planting before I'm down to my regular one or two days a week maintenance.  Next week... building a deck.

10 comments:

  1. OMG!! I lived in lawrenceville...Went to Blue Moon once and the bartender made me a vodka martini. He claimed that he never gets to make them and it was fucking nasty!!! beyond nasty!!!

    bar Louie at station square makes a killer one and of course that martini bar downtown makes a mean (but expensive) martini!!!

    Oh, now I am missing da burg again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget in the summer school's out and families are about. Be sure to add 50% to your car travel time estimates because the highways will be clogged with RVs.

    And don't forget a camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been to Phoenix and I love it. Hope you have a safe journey. Take pictures for us pelase.

    Also congrats on your night time job.

    Hugs
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have been to the Grand Canyon did some sort of hike that is 2hours down to a point then back up. Loved Sedona and wanted to spend more time there for looking around. Phoenix all I remember was that it was hot..lol..

    ReplyDelete
  5. u still need a baggage porter? I am also willing to do other minor tasks, like foot massaging (u will be so grateful for it after a 7 hrs hike...) sending my application...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a nice trip. I did something like this years ago out in California. The only thing that bugs me on an itinerary like this is too much time spent driving in a car but that's just me.
    If I were out the way I'd stop at Best Friends Animal Sacturary in Angel Canyon, Kanab, Utah.
    Hope you have a safe and fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really glad you are at the front bar..Its by far better to see a handsome friendly face Good Luck make lots of tips

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hiked from the North Rim to about 1/2 way down into the canyon, then back. It was August with temps in the +95 F range and I was by myself, so to do more might have been risky.

    It is well worth doing even short hike like that! Once you are down from the rim, it seems like you are in another world; just magical. It's on my bucket list to hike all the way across the Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last month Bill and I did one of these trips south. We rented a van (Dodge Caravan - great!) and headed south through Maryland, Virginia, North Caroline, South Carolina, Georgia, then back up to Tennessee, then home by way of Washington D.C. Lots of hours on the road (too many maybe) and lots of time up in the mountains that form the border between Tennesee and North Carolina. The trip was very tiring for us but I'm glad we did it. Lots of great memories. We may do it again next year before we get too old (I'm 69 and Bill's 82). I've never seen the Grand Canyon. That is a dream. I envy you. Perhaps we can do that next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think sedona will be the highlight for you!

    ReplyDelete