Friday, June 24, 2011

Don't be a Deck

To me, there are pessimists... then there are optimists on the other end of the spectrum... and then there's me... a realist... right in the middle.  I'm far too productive to be a pessimist... and not fucking cheery enough to be an optimist.  Over time, I've seen that bitching about something doesn't get it done... and thinking nothing will go wrong and everything will be great just sets yourself up for disappointment when, inevitably, things go awry.  I think with my sense of humor and sarcasm, I tend to get labeled as negative... when I'm only trying to be funny.  I also think that the 'meat and potatoes' of life is in the part where you roll your sleeves up and get dirty.  That's where we learn lessons... that's where we gain knowledge... and that's where we get things done.  Like I said, bitching about it accomplishes nothing... and with having your head in the clouds, you miss what's going on right in front of you.  The heart of life is in the details.

I have an odd sense of what fun is.  For instance, I can go to an amusement park and eat food and sit on a bench and watch people and have the time of my life not riding one ride.  I'm not a thrill-seeker... never have been.. but I'm deep into experiences.  I get a lot of pleasure from accomplishment which is probably why I work so much.  I don't look for fun in every situation because there just sometimes isn't any to be found.  Not every experience has to be life-altering or a memorable occasion or the time of my life.  For people who do look for those things and then don't find it, they become bored or complacent or apathetic and lack focus.  There are many things that I am not, but focus and perseverance are not things that I lack.  When I see a shitty job ahead of me, I buckle down and get it done.  I'm really good with tedium, repetition and challenge.  I don't cut corners and do it the right way.  There's plenty of time for fun later... but serious and relentless are how I am in the throws of it.  I guess that's why people come to me to get things done.  Both a blessing and a curse to be like this, I guess.  My friend Kyle is an optimist... and what I like about him is that he sets the bar for me in thinking positively, but doesn't get upset and is patient with me when I don't hit the mark.  He helps me strive to be better... a lot of people in my life actually do.

I'm not going to lie... building the deck down at camp was a bitch.  A pessimist would have looked at it and said 'forget it'.  And an optimist would have expected everything to go right... and they would have been sorely disappointed.  Me... I expected it to be shitty... it was... and I got it done.  From hand-picking the 124 treated 12 foot long heavy boards, loading them onto three carts that I could barely move, checking out at the Lowes, loading them into a rented truck, driving 45 minutes up the mountain, unloading them by myself, returning the truck and driving back, laying out the 12' X 36' foundation by myself, digging the post holes, taking my shirt off and getting sun-burned to a crisp, running 5 boards short in the middle of a storm with 50 mile-an-hour winds and having to drive two hours back next week to finish just the 5 boards... it all sucked, like I knew it would.  And yet, standing on this side of the project, I can honestly say that I had a fun time because, standing back at the end and looking at the finished product, the sense of accomplishment that I have is overwhelming.  Sure, there was a beautiful view up in the mountains... a nice breeze most of the time... I got to see Scott who set me up with a great room for free... those are all things that made it bearable.  But 'getting 'er done' is priceless... and knowing that there's nothing that you can't accomplish if you put your mind to it is what I live for. 













































17 comments:

  1. I think a lot like you in the being postive/pestimist situation... it is what it is and you have to live with it... the deck looks great and so do you in the one pic....grrrr...have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The deck looks great... buy why only one shirtless photo.

    I feel the same way, and get labeled as negative, when really I think I'm a realist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why didn't you take the price tag stickers off the boards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anonymous... I actually snapped the picture and went down with pliers and pulled them all off. It's a HUGE pet peeve of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great deck, Mr. Handi-D@vid!

    I'm assuming these are permanent spots at this campground?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Erik.... you rent them per year... and usually, after you've build a deck and roof, you're never getting the trailer out. You sell it as a package deal. Anything build becomes the owner's property if you can't sell it or dismantle it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always in awe of anyone who is does this kind of work. I wish I had this talent. Not only can you landscape and graded, but you build! I am so impressed. Nice job on the deck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outstanding work D@vid. Now, would like to come to Boston and help me replace some railings and floor boards my dog ruined when she got all neurotic during a thunderstorm when I wasn't home? It's an inside-the-house construction job, but you're more than welcome to take your shirt off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. John Schessler, Jr.June 25, 2011 at 8:41 AM

    The deck looks great Dave! I totally agree with you on being a realist and getting satisfaction from accomplishing things....which is why I work so much too! We are definitely a rare breed, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most days I'm an optimist. The other days I'm a realist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your way with words is marvelous; you are fast becoming one of my favorites simply because your prose is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I assume it's not Camp Davis. Anyway, I need some help really bad and maybe you can answer a couple of questions for me. Here goes:

    1. A few years ago I had the two decks on my condo removed and replaced. The carpenter used treated lumber, so I let it sit for 16 months before painting.

    2. A used the same carpenter to paint the deck. There were still some places where the sap seemed to be still seeping out. I checked the decks this week (I'm still trying to sell the place) and the paint/stain seems to have worn off and it looks like shit.

    I live not far from you (Toledo) so we've had pretty much the same weather. Should I blame the carpenter for crappy wood, blame the painter for crappy stain or just pay to have it stained again?

    P.S. The total area of the two decks is a little larger than the one you show here; I think I paid around $14,000. Staining cost me another $1,400. I think I got hosed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a very impressive erection you got going there. The deck I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look how handy! Now, when you put a refurbished 1950's Airstream next to it, I will SO move in and be your boyfriend long time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just like you, I am either an optimist or a pessimist as the occasion calls. Most of the time I am right in the middle which frustrates most people. But that does not mean that I am devoid of opinions and often voice them loud.
    That deck is done with meticulous care from what I can tell and it is a reflection of your ability to do things right like your beautiful landscaping for example.
    great going bud.
    saludos,
    raulito

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so impressed, well done. I love the fact that you knew it would be shitty, but you still got on and completed it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cheers to you and if I was around, I would massage your aches and aloe lotion you up! The deck looks great! I work many hours too and love the sense of accomplishment when things are done correctly. Too funny on the price tags comments. You know that the deck could be crap but we'll still say that it looks good as long as you pose shirtless next to it...lol. Don't forget to take it easy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete