Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Drowning (An Original Poem)













Despite repeated warning, we wade in past the water's edge
feeling it's shockingly cold with small, infrequent pools of warmth
making our skin taught and strong
until we're saturated, taking on weight.

With lost footing, gliding into an effortless current, we ride the
path until it begins to churn and twirl and shift
forcing us to navigate from the obstacles
to avoid pain, harm and danger.

Joined by undertow and rip-tide, we are now
jostled and forced and out of control
floating in directions that we can't change
finding no strength to divert ourselves.

Thrown, pulled under and banged up, our response
is to stay calm and breathe and keep above water
frequently bobbing under but fighting for our life
though we are no match.

Taking on more than we can handle, we gasp and
reach for any lifeline as there's a brief moment of
questioning our abilities, stability and sanity
and whether to continue the fight or just give in.

Completely immersed and holding our breath, the gap closes
between certain demise and safety with distance from escape
rapidly increasing forcing us to accept our new plight
floating, seeing our past before us, staring out blankly into the abyss.

From within, our instictive nature enacts, and we shed
anything not necessary in our survival, tearing off layers that weighed us down
until we are left with stark nakedness, thrashing toward
our new hope and second chance, lighter.

Our body emerges from the dark and deep, exhausted from
the fight, gasping for air, searching for footing, surveying our new position
and looking at a new exit strategy that's full of hope on the banks
of our regained sanity.

6 comments:

  1. I love poetry and wish more people would explore expressing themselves with this form of prose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY GOOD !!!! You need to submit in a public venue for others to drink in your talent sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing this
    The concept of near drowning yet coming out somewhere else/new is a good topic for a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a brief moment, somewhere around the 6th stanza, I was wondering where you were taking this. LOVED what you did! You have a talent which I admire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not into poetry David, but this one works for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. David - This was so right on with how you have been feeling of late. Also, in reading it the second time, I realized that it is where I have been with my recent struggles with anxiety. I know that I will emerge, once again, on the other side of this disease, being much stronger then before. These periods in my life have always signaled huge growth periods for me, and while they are absolutely terrifying to go through and can be life altering, I know I will be much better for the journey. Thank you for your wonderful insight into yourself. I have not read your blog in quite awhile and found this as being the reason I suddenly felt compelled to read!

    ReplyDelete