Monday, November 7, 2011

My Brother Gary... and My Other Brother Gary

So... I know that I said that was it... no more blogging... but a few odd but great things happened over the weekend that I wanted to share and cronicle in my blog history.

I was away for the last 4 days on another Body Electric retreat... this time, a live-in situation at the Claymont Mansion near Charles Town, West Virginia (near Hagerstown, MD, outside of D.C.).  The house was built in the 1800's and was once home to George Washington's grandnephew.  It was an awesome look back in history with it's grand foyer, parlor and grand ballroom... you felt compelled to tear down the velvet draperies, whip up a frock that Scarlet would be jealous of and promenade down the grand staircase, exclaim 'fiddle-de-de' and receive guests... or at least I felt compelled to do that.  In contrast to the other two Body Electric classes that I took, this one was different in that we ate, slept and did our workshop in the same location with all 18 participants rather than leaving at 6 and coming back the next day.  The staff of the historic society that runs it made us 3 yummy vegetarian meals a day and we all bunked in the many bedrooms.  Being an assistant this time around, I got to see a broad overview of the whole process from start to finish and got to work with some of the participants as well.  Always a different experience each time, this one was no different in that I learned a lot and made personal progress in many ways.  I'm looking forward to assisting again at another workshop and continuing with taking other workshops in the progression.  After a 4 hour drive, I just arrived back home.

Over the weekend, I received an email from my half-sister, Judith.  Apparently, I have another half-brother that has emerged.... making this my second half-brother named Gary.  He is 47 and lives in Ft. Meyers... is a truck driver and has a similar background like mine... adopted into a good family... father recently died and moved in to take care of his mom... and came across his adoption papers in his Dad's strong box outlining his adoption.  After some searching, he was able to track down Judith as I did and she informed me and I called him on my way home tonight. There's a possibility that he and I could be blood brother and not just half, sharing the same mother and father, but only a DNA test can prove that... our biological father is a mystery... and we're determining whether we look alike or not by exchanging photos.  I'm excited... we have a lot in common and it seems out of the 9 half-brothers and sisters on my mother's side, we're the only two that are interested in the history and connection, so I'll definitely be keeping in touch with him... hopefully finding out more information.   Coincidentally, now Judith has two brothers named Gary... and two named David.

9 comments:

  1. Please don't stop blogging just yet, I really would like to how you feel about meeting your new brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool story about finding your (other) brother Gary. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about how things go with your "new" brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty darn cool. I hope you can meet soon. I look forward to reading more about it.

    Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was glad to see you posting; I enjoyed the contents too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will miss your blog incredibly my handsome. But I understand your decision. There is a time for everything. Keep in touch David.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thrilled for you. You'll have to show me pictures when you get here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah I envy you. Whether you connect with them or not, you can find your family. And with more popping up, like gophers is just surreal to me. I'd love to find just ONE blood relative, but I cannot get anywhere. Even in this internet age.
    Gotta hand it to Catholic Charities, they are really, really good at covering things up, even all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... 9 half siblings running around?

    Let's hope you haven't accidentally "dated" one! :-)

    ReplyDelete