If you've ever installed these lights, you know what a pain it is to hook them up... the connectors are very tempermental... you have to squeeze them just right to get them pierced so they make a connection... and they almost always go out periodically, either at the connection or the bulb. Eight lights in her bed... you do the math on how often I go over there to fix them, not including the timers (which need adjusted every time the electricity goes off).
I figured that I would just replace them, so I pulled out the old wires from the ground (which is what upset the bees to begin with) and laid new wiring and connected 10 new lighting pods. When I turned them on, only one of the ten actually lit, which meant that I had to dig up the connections and play with the intricate connectors and wiggle the bulbs... about ten minutes or so each... which wouldn't have been bad except it started raining midway... and there was no way that I was stopping and having the project delay any further (i.e. having to go through another round of "when are you coming over... when are you coming over"). Five bee stings... 16 5-gallon buckets of weeds and clumped dirt... raw fingers... muddy shoes (and ass... I fell)... and 10 bags of red (ugh) mulch later... it was done. Another nagging project off the board. Nothing is ever simple.
I went to pick up the utility trailer that I found on Craigslist which was about an hour away in no-man's land. the retired guy that had it was very nice and helpful... of course nothing was easy with that as well... my trailer hitch was rusted and wouldn't go in... the hitch ball was the wrong size... I couldn't find an ATM machine out in Amish country... we had to go to this trailer park with this odd woman to transfer the title and, lastly... the hitch lights didn't work when I connected them. I got the trailer home and have been working on getting the lights to work... I have to take the car to have the wiring looked at today. It's a nice trailer... it tilts for easy loading, has a third wheel... a wench... and the sides are removable... which I will have to rebuild higher so that I can put mulch and leaves in it. It's perfect for what I need... and for building my business nextSpring... I'll probably get a riding mower now and expand with bigger jobs.Autumn is upon us... It's been raining so much that it's hard to enjoy the Fall... but it is much cooler, which I love. I used to have a kayak years ago but sold it when I moved, so I bought another one the other day. I got a great deal on it... and I like that it has two dry compartments. And despite my fear of deep water and drawing toward being solitary as I grow older, there's nothing I enjoy most than being out in the middle of a lake by myself where no one can get to me.
It's fall festival time as well... and October is a busy time for me with the ones that I usually attend. With the break in the rain, next week looks like 7 days of sun and 60-something degrees... and with peak foliage color change about to happen, I have decided to head up and see Sean in Albany (Idle Eyes and a Dormy). I'll leave on Monday and come back on Friday... and will be stopping in the Poconos at one of my favorite places... Bushkill Falls.

Nice .... Fall is in the air north of the mason dixion line! Now if it would start to work its way down south !
ReplyDeleteYou have a wench now? Nice!! I like a lusty wench! ;)
ReplyDeleteMay I recommend solar powered lights for your Aunts yard? We have them at our place and they're awesome - plus the lights are LED and last forever. No muss, no fuss. Stake them in the ground and you're done!
ReplyDeleteAnd for the record, the gardening job looks fantastic.
YOU LUCKY DAWG! you get to play with sassybear! I'm jealous!
ReplyDeleteThe scenario with your Aunt reminds me of the little old lady in the Rainmaker.
ReplyDeleteI wondered if Jim was going to pick up on the "wench." Arrrrr, I be not disappointed!
ReplyDeleteCool that you're going to see Sean! I'm hoping to see him next spring.
you need to squeeze me just right too to get me working *wink* but since you're so experienced with it....*cough* and i'd just sooo love to have eight in my bed...oh my i feel the censorman coming up haha you see i am bored to death, gives me naughty thought. i'd so love to go kayaking with you david. and to get wet toesies hehe have a great time and a safe travel, i will miss you.
ReplyDeletewhat a nice nephew/landscaper you are!
ReplyDeleteHave a safe trip! Maybe I'll see you there. I'm in Albany on the 12th and have to plan on a visit with Sean and Jeffrey while I'm there. Should be beautiful foliage then!
ReplyDeleteGetting trailer lights working are a colossal pain in the rear, aren't they? I'm constantly fiddling with mine.
ReplyDeleteI am mad-jealous you are seeing Sean.
ReplyDeleteYes, we tend to fixate on things as we get older. Be mindful of this, and you may avoid becoming 'one of them!"
When you're in Vegas next we'll have to rent a couple kayaks and go out on Lake Mead together. That would be so great to do with you.
ReplyDeleteLandscaping for a living is a hard job. You're a better man than I am for doing it. I tried it one season (spring actually) back in 1994. Just about killed me. I wish you the best. At least you're out in the open and breathing fresh air and not subject to cubicles and office politics.
ReplyDelete