Earlier today I posted about deciding not to buy the trailer at gay camp... then this afternoon, I was running some errands and was sitting at a light... the light turned green... and I proceeded out into the intersection and a young kid and his girlfriend broad-sided me on the driver's side at 35-40 mph, not paying attention to their red light. Because their vehicle was low and my truck higher up, the impact zone was head-on along the frame and back wheel, which both were bent to undrivable and, most likely, unrepairable. The truck will probably have to be totaled. Fortunately, it wasn't my fault and even more fortunate was that a client of mine was in the lane next to his as he flew past him while stopped, and he was front and center for the whole thing, so I have a witness. After the tow truck came to take the truck away, my friend Robin swooped in and saved the day... she picked me up, took me to talk to the auto body shop... took me to my client's house to get his info... took me to my house to change... took me to get something to eat and then took me to the hospital where, while I was being checked and was getting some X-rays, she called my claim in to my and the other insurance company and set up my rental car appointment for tomorrow. Robin works for a large insurance company, so she knows the whole process... otherwise, I would have been lost... she's a life saver!! I ended up with strained back, so I was fortunate.
The funny thing is that I bought that $120 part to fix the check engine light problem and put it on an hour beforehand... and it worked. What a waste of money and effort, in hindsight. And, sadly, with my truck being a 1996, I will probably not get very much for it, even though it was in excellent condition. It was worth more to me running than demolished. I'll have to go looking for another one soon... Good thing I didn't buy the trailer... I'll need that money now.
I'm going to miss that truck...

OMG, sorry to hear that. Your friends Robin did a great job.
ReplyDeleteWOW! That is a close one! How fortunate that one of your clients is a witness and that you have Robin as your "angel"! A long way back, I had two young girls total my car and I just put in a new gas tank, which cost about $100 less than what the car was worth. The ink wasn't even dry on the check I wrote. Life is strange. I'm glad you were not seriously hurt. I hope the strained back gets better soon!
ReplyDeleteGlad you're ok. Bummer about the truck. Often these things have more value to us than the monetary value they're assigned. And nobody can replace that. What happened to the people in the other car?
ReplyDeleteOh thank the FSM you're okay! I constantly worry about getting run over when I leave for work in the wee hours of the morning on my scooter, because the traffic signals are all flashing yellow/red. I can't tell you how many times other drivers have just blown through the flashing red side of the signal!
ReplyDeleteGet some rest, and I know we can't wait to see what kind of bad-ass truck you're going to get!
holy shIt! Glad, you are up and walking about and not in the hospital lying helplessly. Hope you recover quickly and take care. D
ReplyDeletegood god....I am so glad to read you are OK. You can buy a new truck but not a new David.
ReplyDeleteOh no! I'm glad to hear you're not hurt too badly, although I'm sure the pain and discomfort is yet to come on.
ReplyDeleteSorry about your truck. I know what you mean about your truck being worth more alive than dead. I have a 10 year old car that is the same way and I'm always scared it will be wrecked through no fault of my own, just like what happened to you.
Were the other people hurt?
Ah, Robin! The perfect Fairy Godmother to us all, aren't you? :D
ReplyDeleteBless your heart!
And good luck in finding the perfect mate... er... truck!
Eveything happens for a reason.
Life is an amazing labyrinth!
Hugs
Jon
That sucks, but the more important thing was you were unhurt. HOpefully those guys will be cited for their recklessness.
ReplyDelete....and how as the hospital visit #7 on the list? tsk tsk tsk!
Start stretching your back now. Don't let it seize up in a few days.
Wow Dave, I'm glad you're ok for the most part. If you need a massage I'd be happy to work on you... except we live too far apart. But if we lived nearby I would in a heartbeat.
ReplyDeleteIt was a good decision not to buy the trailer. Glad that you are okay and that Robin, your "guardian agent" was there to take care of you.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you are alright.
ReplyDeleteYou've got a great friend in Robin. Be happy that you have her and you that you are OK.
Good thing you listened to your instinct, gut or whatever and didn't buy the trailer. Good luck finding a replacement truck as nice as the one you had.
Hope your back heals soon. Take it easy, but don't sit around - it will stiffen up. You do not want that! Do whatever the doctor told you!!!
It is such a bizarre emotion to feel fear for your safety despite reading about this after the fact and knowing you are OK for the most part. Still, I am sorry for the massive disruption this may be causing you financially, physically, emotionally and situationally. But, mostly, I'm really glad you're OK.
ReplyDeleteHoley carp! Sorry to hear about your truck. And you! I'm glad you survived relatively unscathed. Hopefully your back's not too out of whack.
ReplyDeletedo you need to be consoled? held? :)
ReplyDeleteyou have had several adventures this past week while I was down in Tallahassee dealing with some issues with my sister and spending quality time on the farm. David one of the "chosen" Gemini's with extra credit from God !
ReplyDelete