Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Entrapment (An Original Poem)

















...stop grabbing
   ...stop prodding
      ...stop staring
         ...just stop altogether

Circling around in this dense space
trapped in expectations, no room to breathe
unable to be freed, mounting
...constraints
   ...demands
      ...obligatory actions
         ...responsibilities
            ...needs to be fulfilled

The pressure increases but there's no release valve
walls closing in, exhausted, I have
...no voice
   ...no energy
      ...no plan of escape
         ...nowhere to go
            ...no strength

Is this my life?  Is this my destiny?
am I never to reach an area of freedom, do I
...bring this all on
   ...look for this
      ...harbor this environment
         ...feel safety in it
            ...know nothing else

If the door opened, would I run far away to something that may not be there
...taking a risk that I'd be there, then what?
If the door opened, would I shut it sealing my destiny and confirming my fate
...feeling I didn't deserve anything better than this madness?
If the door opened, would I just sit there in disbelief that I had a choice
...afraid to make one?

With the open door comes the chance of more coming in than escaping
My closed door is a safe harbor as well as my plight, a dual-edged sword
that very well may be the article of my impalement
Without any idea of what freedom is, how would I know if I had it?
Would I want back in?
I may never know

5 comments:

  1. Your poetry is so lovely. You ought to do a video recitation of your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When things in your life seem almost too much to handle,
    When 24 hours in a day is not enough; Remember the story of the mayonnaise jar and 2 cups of coffee.

    A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and started to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full and they agreed that it was.

    The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and pour them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

    The professor next picked up a box of sad and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous 'yes.'

    The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling all the empty space between the sand.

    The students laughed.

    'Now,' said the professor, as the laughter subsided, 'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things - God, family, children, health, friends, and favorite passions. Things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the things that matter like your job, house, and car... The sand is everything else - the small stuff.'

    'If you put the sand into the jar first,' he continued, 'there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are import to you. So... Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse out to dinner. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the dripping tap.'

    'Take care of the golf balls first - the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a meaningful story shared by 3rdnlong, I like it! Never lose sight of the truly impt things in life.

    D@vid, this piece sounds angsty and laced with uncertainty. When opportunities war with obligations and our innate fear, I can relate to how it's not easy to just step up/step out and *change* or *do* something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seek and you shall find,
    Knock and it shall be opened,

    LOVE heals, LOVE inspires LOVE triumphs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you can leave it adjar, for now ;)

    ReplyDelete