Saturday, June 11, 2011

Love-Tapping a Dyke-Riden Harley Hog

For the Pride celebration, last night was the 'Bar Crawl'.  For $30, you got tickets to a number of bars and got a free drink at each of them... and were buses on school bused from one bar to another as part of the package.  For the people, it was probably a good deal, and fun... you got to see all the bars and not have to drive.  For the bars, not so fun.  The bar itself saw no money from the tickets... but we, as bartenders, had to make all the drinks.  I rang about $500 on my drawer... which is usually about $200 more than a normal night... but taking into consideration how many 'free' drinks we made... I would have rung 3 times that, at least.  With 'free' drinks, comes bargain shoppers/tippers... and what would have been a killing in tips turned out to be a record high for me there... but should have been fantastic.

I'm no stranger to a busy night.  At the Marriott, we would have Penguin hockey rushes before the game and I'd ring $3,000+ on my drawer, but there were 5 of us working behind the bar.  It wouldn't have been bad last night, except that the bar back was AWOL most of the night... and then drank himself into a stupor... and the bar doesn't have enough glassware, so I was literally washing glasses out to be able to make drinks... and considering that bus loads of them were showing up every 15 minutes... I didn't stop once the whole night.  It was fun though... I enjoy being busy.  At the end, the bar back passed out and was taken home... so we had to clean up the mess.  We got out of there at 5:15... I was in bed at 6:15 and, wide awake again at 8:30 this morning.  Not good.  With landscaping work, working out and working at the bar... my appendages are dangling today.

Today, I have to wash my truck for the parade tomorrow, since a bunch of people from the bar will be sitting in the back of it and I'll be driving it in the parade with banners all over it.  I'm back at the bar tonight at 9... probably another 4 am morning... then at the parade at 10 am. 

I hope I don't fall asleep at the wheel and run into Dykes on Bikes in front of me and knock all their motorcycles down and they kick my ass.  Or worse, catch the tail end of a feathered boa or scuff the back of a drag queens 6" stilettos with my front bumper... you don't want to mess with a queen's cha-cha heels or fashion accessory...  hell hath no fury than a perturbed man with his weiner tucked in spanx with full make-up and a bedazzled gown with a wig jacked up 18 inches off their head on an 85 degree day in June after they just walked 15 blocks waving like Princess Di.  They simply won't have it, plain and simple.

6 comments:

  1. phew!
    Gay Pride sounds exhausting !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you survived that night at the bar! Love your descriptions in the last paragraph. Sounds like despite the lack of sleep, a fun weekend is in store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully no one will be rolling around on the top of your roof wearing chain mail and scratching it all up....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just posted a comment on my blog about drag queens representing the gay community during gay pride month. It was fun years ago, no not so much. Maybe I'm turing into an old fogey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you still have the time and energy to do a blog post! Amazing. And lucky us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed out loud at your last paragraph. "Weiner tucked into Spanx".... so that's how they do it!! D@vid, is it wise for you to be revealing the drag queens' trade secrets?

    ReplyDelete