Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I'm Featuring You... Robin!! (Happy Birthday)

I've done this recurring post before... it started when I was drunk at gay camp, and I had this 5 LED clip-on hat light to be able to see walking around camp... reaching 30 feet in front of you with it's powerful rays, it was the perfect compliment to me not falling face down, drunk or not.  When I'd get to the rec hall, I would take it off my hat and walk up to someone on the dance floor, circling it over their head like a spotlight... and claim "I'm featuring you, I'm featuring you"... It was a nice way to bring to light someone's moves on the dancefloor... albeit sometimes freakishly awkward and in poor taste (the dancing, not the featuring).  So, this post is to highlight my friends...

Today is Robin's birthday, and I can't think of anyone who deserves a special day of pampering and attention than her.  Whether it's whipping up a batch of brownies and having people over... or picking up someone's favorite this or that... Robin is always doing for someone else.  She's the kind of mom that always had a snack in her purse in a baggie... ready at a moments notice for the hunger pangs of her kids.

I met Robin and her family at Jesse's (my ex) brother's wedding over a year ago.  Robin's husband is best friends with Jesse's dad and her daughter Courtney dated Jesse's brother, Jordan, while Jesse and I dated.  I became friends with Courtney first... but then Robin and I became fast friends.  It wasn't always easy in the first year... and we had several falling outs.  Me, with my independent and stubborn streaks bucked the mom who tried to help me and after much getting to know each other, we have settled in to a wonderful friendship.  She has helped me through several situations... supports me in my writing and even started a blog of her own (Life in Queue).  It's an odd relationship... sometimes mom to me... sometimes sister I never had... sometimes friend.  She wore a lot of hats with me, and I think friend works best.  Her family is lucky to have her... a devoted wife and mother, she's the most hands-on mom I've ever met... full of love and support for her girls... they have a friendship between them that I've never seen before.

The perfect wife, mother and daughter... she reminds me of those people who spin plates on a pole... running from one to the other, keeping it all going.  This past year had been particularly tough for her, with her husband having severe heart surger... and her mom, hip surgery... she went on for months working 12+ hours a day at work, stopping at her mom's all the way across town, then taking care of her husband and girls all at the same time.  She deserved a medal for getting through that.  Always optimistic... always with a smile on her face... always willing to do anything for you... supportive, caring, passionate... she's quite an extraordinary person and I am fortunate to have her in my life.

Have a great day, Robin... you deserve it!!!

6 comments:

  1. I never met her in person but her great personality even shines through in her mails and writings. She is a very warm-hearted and caring lady and I feel honored to know her. Geluk met jou verjaardag Robin :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I have completely forgotten your famous "I'm Featuring You," blog? What was I thinking? After a quick peruse on FB and coming across your birthday wish, it dawned on me...ought oh, I hope he didn't...but he did...and I love you for it.
    **
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart (although I'm not quite sure I'm deserving of such lofty praise) ;) Because this is YOUR blog (lol) I won't go on too much longer, but it has to be said, that "...People come into our lives for a reason Bringing something we must learn And we are led To those who help us most to grow If we let them..."
    **
    Thank you for changing me for the better; for helping me to grow, for being my mentor, for supporting MY crazy, and being in my life everyday. I love you more than words...and that's a lot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Robin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you are deserving this lofty praise! ;)

    And GOD do you look gorgeous outside as much as you are gorgeous inside. Look at those sparkling eyes, this contagious smile...

    I'm in love!!! ♥♥♥

    I hope you have the best day of your life. I also hope that one day, we'll be able to meet in the real world!
    And thank you David for featuring such a wonderful lady today!
    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never ever the same. This is what Robin does for you David, bring joy to the heart !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Robin! I enjoyed reading about you. You obviously have a lot of strength, courage and most of all, love. I am truly grateful that there are folks like you around to bring brightness to others.

    ReplyDelete