I decided to head north about an hour, near Slippery Rock, PA, hoping to get a glimpse of some of the autumnal (I know, fancy word, huh?) coloring. There's an outlet mall up there that I like to go to and one of my favorite places on earth... McConnell's Mill. Situated right along a strong-flowing creek, it was once used as a grist mill, grinding corn and the like. Now, with it's covered bridge and historical mill, it makes for a beautiful centerpiece of the state park it's in. With the large, smooth rocks that are all around, it's surely a dumping site for some glacier... the only logical explanation. Some of the rocks have 30 foot drops and rock wall climbers scale them. You can climb down through them, winding through close spaces in the crags between them. On the last few pictures, you can't really get a good sense of the height, but it's also interesting that, over time, dirt settled on top of the rocks and trees grew and wrapped their roots right around the rocks. Double click and again on any pic for the large version. The new blog heading picture was from today as well.
My friend Gary went with me and we had a great time. It was the perfect ending to Indian Summer.
Positively beautiful...this is what I miss when living here...the vegetation is hopelessly green and lush.
ReplyDeletesaludos,
raulito
http://fromtop2bttm.blogspot.com/
Your photos are beautiful! As much as I love living in Iowa, I would love living in the northeast just for the natural beauty. There's something incredibly calming about the sights and sounds of a river valley in the fall.
ReplyDeleteimprobablemath.blogspot.com
McConnell's Mill looks fantastic! I'd love to see it.
ReplyDeleteLove your new blog header!! Your camera skills never cease to amaze me. What DO you want to be when you grow up? You can pretty much pick and chose anything in life, at any given time. You are incredibly talented and I can't wait to make my way to see this place in person; the only downfall would be having to actually leave!
ReplyDeleteVery bucolic area. Nice!
ReplyDelete