Sunday, March 25, 2012

Road Work: Twenty-Somethings

It's been said many times of me in the past that I expect too much from people... that expecting people to treat me with respect or concern or empathy or sympathy or have an interest in my life is asking too much. And while I can completely understand the saying 'you reap what you sow', meaning if you act like an ass then you can't expect people to treat you any differently... this is hardly the case. What I expect are basic human interactions, decency and responses, after all... aren't they taught by both our loving parents? Ah... maybe therein lies the problem.

I still have friendships that I made back when I was a kid... my oldest being 36 years. Forging that bond, finding common interests, sharing thoughts and feelings, maintaining through life's ups and downs, geographic, logistical and economic influences... jealousy, greed, and a bunch of other things all add to the difficulties of keeping a relationship going for a few months, let alone 36 years... and I have many more of these types of enduring friendships, so I know that I must not be that unreasonable to have success with relationships with so many people.

I had the majority of my love interest relationships from 21 - 38 years of age. My first boyfriends were in their mid forties when I was in my early twenties. Then it was plus or minus a few years difference in my thirties... and, now... the guys that seek me out are in their twenties, for whatever reason, not to be pondered in this post.

I've made several friends over the last couple of months and have invested a lot of time, money, concern and energy into cultivating those friendships. Without going into each individual situation, they can mostly be summed up as guys in their early twenties to early thirties... some were friendships and some love interests. While each is a different set of circumstances, there are enough of them to make an across-the-board judgement that most people of this age bracket are lacking the traits needed to give a shit about anyone but themselves. Blame it on both parents working and not being around... or having been given everything out of guilt... or that they're so precious and special that this made them selfish or elitists... or just too many video games and not enough human interaction. Whatever the case, they are vapid, shallow and selfish. What's sad, is it's the kind that they don't even have a clue... that there's no other option or way of life. and they look at you like you're the busted one. This is much like when a crazy person doesn't know that they're crazy... that's when you know they are really crazy.

With no interests beyond Lady GaGa, getting drunk and getting drunk to Lady GaGa songs and then quoting her lyrics in place of any of their own original thoughts or feelings, you quickly tire of being around them because they have nothing to offer. But being the type of person that I am, I feel sorry and continue to pour time and energy and money into these people thinking that they are on the verge of growing up, but they're not.  What's worse is that, when you need them, they are nowhere to be found.  When I had three funerals in a 15 day period earlier this year, I asked one of them to meet me for coffee, just to not be alone.  His response:  "I don't feel like getting off the couch"... this after I provided support for 5 months for a myriad of his problems.  It's like it doesn't even cross their mind to give any concern beyond themselves... and they just continue to take and take and soak up every bit of anything you give them.  The funny part is that they don't see themselves as needy or emotionally underdeveloped, since that couldn't even be a possibility... and so introspective inward inspection is never a consideration since they don't know any better having nothing to compare.  As a result, their interactions with others is twarted.  Drinking with your buddies every night does not constitute a friendship... you actually have to be present... and being sober helps.

We were raised to think about our fellow man and, as a result, I continue to have much angst over these situations that don't deserve any of my attention whatsoever.  It's a personal struggle of mine to just forget about these people... or pull back... it's just not in my make-up.  I was very fortunate to have parents who taught me right from wrong... to not be selfish... to think about other people... and had older friends along the way to teach me as well.  I think I feel a responsibility of some sort as a payback for people who helped me along the way.

I feel sorry for these 'kids'... and I say that because that's where they are in their development... and that's why it's hard for me to walk away.. I feel sorry for them.  Having spoken to many mutual friends who feel the same way and see it exactly as I do, I know it's not me.  I get far into it then feel overexposed... then pull down my blog or my Facebook page as a way of control.  When I did this the other day, I had one friend from high school notice and another from another country... but none of these takers.  So rather than pull away entirely, I will just have to pull myself away.  For my own preservation, I must just move on, and that's what I'm doing.

4 comments:

  1. I know of that which you speak and, sadly, it is not solely a trait of 20-30 something. When, a couple years back, I started to ask even a fraction back from what I gave to others in my life, I started losing people I thought were my friends; that I had invested time, money and effort into; developed attachments to. sacrificed for and made great efforts to feel valuable and important. I felt guilt...that i was being selfish for daring to ask anything from these people, assuming I must be wrong because I started losing "friends." It has taken me a long to accept I have a right to expect the same as I give, and anyone who would turn on me or treat me with disrespect or disconscern because of that isn't anyone I want or need in my life. It still hurts and a part of me still wants to fix things with all the people I've lost, but time and again, when I've tried, I've only given them a second stab at my heart and soul, because they are still the same kind of people who let me down and hurt me the first time.I am sorry you continue to meet these people and wish they would appreciate what you offer them and show you some of the same devotion and respect in return. I also wish I could have been there for you during your losses, or any time you needed a friend.

    I did notice I had been defriended by you on FB, but I do not question people about that when that happens. You have a right to defriend me if you choose and you shouldn't have to explain it or defend it to me. I just take the position that if you want to explain it to me, you will. I would have continued to read your blog and comment until you asked me to do otherwise. It was not that I didn't care or didn't want to know why but I hoped I have proven myself as someone you want to remain connected with and, if not, I tried to accept and respect that. I know I'm just a guy you know through the internet, but I'd like to think, if we had been fortunate to live in the same town, we might be the kind of friend to each other we both crave and, if I may, deserve.

    Take care of yourself. Don't lose who and what you are. Better to be appreciated by a few for the qualities you extol than to be embraced by the many for being just like them. And stop giving to be people who don't give back. They don't deserve that...and neither do you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear David,

    I spend the last 25 years of my life trying to help people out of their problems, pulling them out of the ditch only to see them driving right back into the same ditch over and over again. I am done with this, and I've learned also that this is not being selfish at all. I also been raised to think of other first; that was the Christian way of living. But one day, a priest told me that there is no place in the Bible where it is written that you should eat shit by the spoon over and over again.

    He also told me that Jesus said that if people don't want to accept what you can offer, simply shake off the dust from your feet and move on.

    I also don't question what people do with their blog of FB page. I already lost two friends who just dissapeared like you did and never came back. They even deleted their email. Although I was kinda hurt because we had a very interesting relationship, I don't want to judge their decision.

    And so, I did notice your short eclipse last week. Ask Robin, I kinda panic and sent her an email to see what was going on. I had no other way to reach you. When you came back, I made sure to add your email address in my contacts. ;)

    Just keep moving David. Now it's time to surrund ourselves with people who really care: care about themselves enough to care about others, enough to care about life. The real life. Not the one they're trying to sell us on tv (which I never watch btw.)

    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crossed my mind twice this month when I was intown for a funeral at the beginning of the month and when I posted Fridays post. Very well written post today. Like I said before you should be published. An email from Robin had me surfing around and I ran across it. Also did you read today's horoscope for Gemini. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What inspires me most about the hours before night turns into day is that they can, if you allow them, remind you that everything that was remains in the darkness of the past, while all things possible lie ahead in the dawn of the new day.

    ReplyDelete