Wednesday, February 18, 2009

In the "Things I Won't Miss" series...

I've been splurging with the heat, as you can see. It's normally set at 45 degrees, but because I have to get myself motivated to get out from under my five blankets (one being a heated blanket) to pack, you'd be surprised how inspirational one degree can be. Now that I don't have a refrigerator (since I sold it), Matt asked how I'm going to get by without one for two weeks... I do have one... it's called the 'countertop' model. It's colder in my house than in my fridge any way.


I'm looking forward to the new place with my Dad. He's used to 70+ degrees in his house. He's in for a rude awakening. I'll split the difference with him and keep it at 60ish... Unless he wants to put the gas in his name and splurge. My highest gas bill, set at 45 degrees, was $145.00. In the new place, it won't be that much set at a normal room temperature. It'll feel like I've moved South!


Despite the obvious physical discomfort, it's been more mentally challenging for me, which may be hard for someone to understand. The mental fight that you have to get out of bed... the physical-transferred-to-mental stress of enduring it... and the mental anguish of non-security that comes with the cold... you feel safe and secure and successful when it's warm... and not 'on the edge' or desolation or demise. It's pushed me into my bedroom this whole time. I am looking forward to the embrace of my father... and the embrace of a nice Carrier, 26,000 btu, high-efficiency output heater... which I will, from here on out, refer to as 'Mother'.

No comments:

Post a Comment