Tuesday, September 29, 2015

All in a Days Work

Set aside how long the whole thing takes from start to finish, the most frustrating part of the hiring process is trying to figure out what they want from you.  From your resume to the interview to all those annoying personality tests they make you take, you never know what they're looking for in you. 

Having many years of management experience and a habitual job-hopper in my youth, I have interviewed hundreds of people and have been interviewed, so I know both sides of game.  I immediately look around the room and size up the interviewer to find some common ground and figure out who they want me to be.  If interviewing, I try to trick people into telling me things about themselves that they normally wouldn't have brought up to find out what they are about as a person.  One time, my ex and I were up for the same job... he got it because he had wing-tip shoes on that reminded the interviewer of his Dad.  It's a crap shoot... it doesn't matter what your skills or experience is, it all comes down to their connectivity with you, and if it's positive or negative.

Recently, I went on an interview for a job with a 'progressive' company (which basically means they hire people with facial hair and tattoos).  Little of the 45 minute interview was about my 25 years of business experience or skill set or whether I could do the job.  We talked about what I did outside of work, etc. to the point that it felt like I was being interviewed to be his best friend and how easily I could obtain a keg, rather than someone he was going to hand the keys to the million-dollar business.  The second interview, had I not told them to forget it, would have been me being interviewed by the 18 year old kid who takes the garbage out at the end of the night, because 'everyone's opinion counts'.  Now I have to have a skateboard to get a job? 

Green INFJ-A Activator Guardian.  Those are some of the results from the many personality tests I've taken;  The Color Test, Meyers-Briggs, Gallup, Keirsey... and you might as well throw in Gemini and Goat... to round it out with my astrology signs.  As silly as they all are, they are eerily accurate.  I'm not sure if they are vague enough that they fit a whole bunch of different kinds of people or if there really is some science to it, but suddenly, it all seems like an interview I once had at a restaurant where they made me get up on the stage in the middle of a packed room and do the worm dance while singing "I wish I were an Oscar Meyer wiener" to see how extroverted I was.  As an introvert, I obviously didn't get the job (although I did as I was told, and well, I might add).. but I thought it was pushing the limit of trying to be different than every other applicant.  Hell, it was cutting edge back in the day to print your resume on colored paper or with rounded edges.  In a stack of hundreds, it was supposed to make you stand out. 

Nowadays, you need a Vaudeville act and a nose piercing before you're going to get anywhere.  My ability to entertain shouldn't be the criteria for how well I would run a company, although dealing with millennials, I would surely need a lot of Bayer children's aspirin, some Highlights magazines and some gold stars to hand out. At the risk of sounding like an old fuddy-duddy (ok, well that became a self-fulfilling prophecy, just using that term), what's this world coming to? 

5 comments:

  1. First, thank you for expanding your comment credentials!

    Secondly, being in the job hunting mode myself at the moment, I can attest to everything you've written as being true. You never know what the interviewer is going to want, and like you said, "it's a crap shoot." You wear a blue tie, and the guy HATES blue. No way you'll get the job. At this point I've found the best course of action in these things is simply to be honest and be yourself because you have only yourself to answer to when all is said and done.

    I've had two interviews recently where I thought things went great (got those "kismet" feelings) and I was all but certain that I was going to be offered the job; neither one panned out, even though the companies were hiring MULTIPLE people for the position. Was it the color of my shirt? Did I say left when I should've said right? Is my experience (i.e. age) now starting to work AGAINST me?

    You can drive yourself crazy and find yourself wide awake at 4 am trying to figure out what went wrong.

    I try not to get too discouraged because it's like finding love. It never works out until it DOES and then you realize there was a reason all those others never went anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find that the jobs that you really want, you never get. It's the ones that you don't want or think you don't have a chance that you wind up getting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps instead of trying to figure out who the interviewer wants you to be, you can find a way to be yourself but show you're open to their needs/wants. Great post... makes me glad I'm a realtor and don't have to be interviewed anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 2 millennials at my office. their cellphones are glued to their right hand. they take it to the bathroom. they cannot live without that fucking phone.

    I am now considered "too old" (at 61) to interview. but thank the dogs and cats I have a job I like and they like me. in fact, today is my 12th anniversary at my job.

    yep, job hunting is a crap shoot. you WILL find one eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been on a traditional interview so I haven't any experience what to do. I hope I never have to do so. It all sounds like that Monty Python sketch:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP0sqRMzkwo

    ReplyDelete